MS or PhD?

strudelle

One of the schools I am applying to has an option to apply for an MS (with mater's thesis), an MA (with final exam) or a PhD. The graduate student handbook says that students are generally only admitted to the PhD program and that students are admitted to the MA and MS programs only under special circumstances. Does anyone know what those "special circumstances" might be? I'm not really clear on what that means.

Ultimately, I want to get a PhD (I want to teach and do research in academia). But I would really prefer to get a master's degree first and then see how I feel and maybe take a little time off before getting the PhD. In addition, I think I would have a better chance of getting accepted to a master's program than a PhD program based upon my qualifications. So ideally, I would apply to the master's program. But I don't want my application to the master's program to disqualify me from entry if they usually only admit PhD applicants. I also don't want to shoot for a PhD and then find out after my master's that I am burned out and need a break.

Is it at all possible that if I applied for the PhD and they didn't think I was quite qualified enough, they would admit me to the master's program?

What should I do?