Uncredited Contributor to Presentation at a National Conference

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working as an unpaid research assistant for a PhD candidate. I've recently learned that this person will be presenting the work I've conducted as a part of her presentation at a highly respected national conference. I am not listed as a co-presenter nor have I been invited to attend. I was wondering if it would be out of line to list, if not in my SOP, in my CV, that I have contributed to a presentation at this national conference.

Thoughts?

Just explain the situation. Resumes and CV's aren't (or shouldn't be) just lists of titles and locations. Explain breifly what you contributed and in what context.

My first go-round with grad school apps I learned very quickly that if I put that I was an "assistant" (which happened often in my program, as the leads sure liked the spotlight) that other programs assumed I fetched coffee and did not much else.

I changed my resume quickly to reflect and state my actual responsibilities and functions. The world opened up to me.

How much work did you do? Are they presenting on the part you helped on? Also, this makes your cv look like you don't have enough legit things so your just trying to fluff it up. I would lave it off. And they will probably thank you in a presentation but until they publish it you have no rights to it. You can say you have research experience and list this as part of your experience

How much work did you do? Are they presenting on the part you helped on? Also, this makes your cv look like you don't have enough legit things so your just trying to fluff it up. I would lave it off. And they will probably thank you in a presentation but until they publish it you have no rights to it. You can say you have research experience and list this as part of your experience

Well that's pretty condescending... What person applying to a graduate program isn't fluffing up their resume or CV?

Thank you for your responses!

anthropologygeek, I'm not concern about fluffing up my CV; I've already had 7 separate lab and field experiences that warrant individual mention. However, I've not had the opportunity to present at a conference, and seeing as I'll have contributed a very important component (I'll leave it at that) of this presentation, I thought I would ask if it'd be helpful for me to include it in my CV. Also, I'm not claiming rights, only recognition for the countless unpaid hours I've contributed to this project.

if you do not present you can not include the presentation. If your name is not in the program it doesnt count. It sucks if they did this to you but stuff like this happens and you know never to work with them again. I remember a prof asked my friend if they could do separate research them come together and combine it into one paper and my friend was left off the publication all together. It sucks and I may be harsh but I have seen this so many times I guess I'm over it. If you do include this as a presentation and they check on it there goes your shot at that school. When I present I do all the work myself. When I write the article depending on the persons involvement is determines if I include them and what order. I don't help unless I'm first author since I'm to much of a control freak. Also, one thing to keep in mind schools look at what conferences you presented and what journals. That's why I never waste a presentation or a poster at small conferences an only submit articles for big journals. Just some food for thought. And again I may sound harsh but guess what we are in a harsh field of survival of the fittest