PhDs cut admissions

The article mentions the job market, and cautions against extrapolating any information now that might be applicable to your job search in 4-6 years. There is no way of knowing if schools will cut undergrad enrollment the way they are cutting grad enrollment (in fact, some schools are already doing just that); smaller undergraduate classes means fewer jobs for professors. Additionally, many people search for a tenure track job (or even a full time job) for several years after they graduate, so you will be competing not only against your smaller cohort but also the larger cohorts of the year or two before you.

Is it wrong that my immediate reaction is that this will mean slightly, slightly less insane competition by the time I'm on the job market?

Some have already begun that extrapolation.

I said it to a friend today who is on the Job Market now, things are never intractable.

If enough of us believe a fix must be made, then we can make it.

Who I worry about are the folks coming out of the top programs with a vested interest in the status quo. Folks on top really like merit-based rationales. They are are a really stroke to the ego, if you happen to already be at the top.

Its all so very early modern.

Who I worry about are the folks coming out of the top programs with a vested interest in the status quo. Folks on top really like merit-based rationales. They are are a really stroke to the ego, if you happen to already be at the top.

interesting. do you mind expanding on this a bit? There is something to be said about getting into a top program that people should certainly be proud of, but of course candidates should be judged on the quality and originality of their work when they enter into the job market. It may be an "early modern" mentality, but do you think it's disappearing?

That strikes me as something Jasper Milvain would say. The "real" one.

HAH! Well, you see my dear, graduate school is a trade. All of these fellows have got the silly prejudice in their heads that one mustn't write a dissertation save at the dictation of the Holy Spirit, but I mean to make it a practicable trade. If I could write trash, I would out-trash the trashiest novelist writing today, but my talent lies in a more subtle direction.

With apologies to George Gissing, who believed in art for art's sake, led a miserable life, and died of syphillis.

Some have already begun that extrapolation.

I said it to a friend today who is on the Job Market now, things are never intractable.

Huh? I think I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying that people in the top programs desire a more competitive job market so they can feel better about themselves?