What's the best way to tell my advisor...?

I am currently in my second year of a three year Masters program. I made in clear in my entrance interview that I would eventually be looking for a PhD. But now I am thinking it's time that I perhaps make that sentiment a bit more clear to my advisor. I would love to stay here, in my program, to complete my PhD research. I feel pretty comfortable in saying that I think my advisor acknowledges that I am a hard working student, and that I would do well in a PhD position here in the same line of research that I am currently finishing my Masters in.

I know the professors that are involved in my lab typically receive several applications for graduate students every year. Currently, all students in the lab are Masters students. I have gotten wind of the idea that they are looking to admit a PhD student next year (during which I'll be writing my manuscript). What is the best way to suggest to my advisor (and my committee) that I will be looking for a PhD position after I complete my Masters, and that I would much prefer to stay right where I am? I'd love to get right to work after finishing my thesis. I want to be upfront and assertive about it, because let's face it...that is how you get places in graduate school. But I also don't want to come across the wrong way. Suggestions???

I would love to stay here, in my program, to complete my PhD research. I feel pretty comfortable in saying that I think my advisor acknowledges that I am a hard working student, and that I would do well in a PhD position here in the same line of research that I am currently finishing my Masters in.

I have gotten wind of the idea that they are looking to admit a PhD student next year (during which I'll be writing my manuscript). What is the best way to suggest to my advisor (and my committee) that I will be looking for a PhD position after I complete my Masters, and that I would much prefer to stay right where I am? I'd love to get right to work after finishing my thesis. 

I think you answered your own question... This sounds like a perfectly fine way to tell your advisor. If you're worried about coming across the wrong way, you can find a way to make it a more informal discussion (e.g. talking over lunch, going out for coffee), though do be clear in what you're asking.

Agreed! In a meeting with your professor, I'd just bring up that you've been thinking about your next steps after your master's, that you know you want to do a PhD program, and that you want to talk about the possibility of applying to where you are now. Then just go with the flow. Don't be "aggressive" about it, but make it clear and unambiguous.

Also make it clear that you have no assumptions about it being easy for you to stay, or for your prof taking you without question/going through the whole process.

Edited by PsychGirl1