External Funding Options for International Students?

SocGirl2013

Are there any? I haven't even sent in my applications yet but in the rare occasion that I get admitted without funding, I'd like to have kept some options open. 

Has any int'll student applied to any kind of external funding? We are not eligible for most U.S. based, and my own country is pretty much in shambles and has nothing lol.

I've been accepted to 2 schools so far without funding. And despite extensive correspondence with each university, I've come to know that international students are not offered any external funding (e.g. scholarships, fellowships, grants etc.) unfortunately!

So as far as I understand, we (international students) have to, pretty much, rely on TA/RA-ships etc. However, things might be different for your field.

I have external funding from my home country's government -- our equivalent (but not as well funded) to the US NSF. I think the single fellowship I am eligible to apply for is the NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship, which is kind enough to have non-Americans who attend American schools be eligible. So, don't give up, make sure you keep checking every fellowship you hear about and you might be eligible!

For entry-level fellowships, you may also be eligible for the Fulbright awards but they are very competitive (you would apply through your home country).