Is this a good sign?

One of my POIs asked to see my statement before I submit my application. She emailed me the morning after I'd sent her my SOP giving me a few tips and advice on where to improve, and how to make it stand out for the adcom.

Should I take this as a good sign? I mean, I don't think a person who isn't interested in working with me would go through the trouble of reading and advising me on my SOP, right?

Also, with her advice I expanded from roughly 1,000 words to about 1,300! Although only one of the programs I'm applying to states a limit (set at 2 pages, mine is currently at 2 and 4 lines), I feel I need to cut back...

Edited by paolaplease

Yes, it's a good sign. 

I'd make an effort to keep the statement on two pages, because three starts to seem a bit excessive. For 4 lines I'd see about removing something completely from the text as opposed to re-phrasing and other space-saving tactics, but it depends on how tight the writing is at the moment. 

That's why I think it may be easier to choose something to just not mention at all, as opposed to try to cut out a little here and a little there but keep all of the same content. Not that that's easy, but I think it tends to lead to a better essay than lots of edits. 

That's why I think it may be easier to choose something to just not mention at all, as opposed to try to cut out a little here and a little there but keep all of the same content. Not that that's easy, but I think it tends to lead to a better essay than lots of edits. 

Very true, in giving my work a final once-over I realized my attempts to stay within the word count had resulted in some strange juxtapositions.

I found a statement that was just sort of floating in space in the middle of a paragraph. It was an idea I wanted to express.. and given more words would have made sense. But I didn't have more words. It got cut and the other areas were made stronger with those extra words it sacrificed.

I'm also concerned because she advised me to talk about fellowships I'm applying for, but I've never seen that advice anywhere :|

Also, I don't know how to make it work with the rest of my statement... a random paragraph explaining "I will apply for X, Y, and Z"?

Edited by paolaplease

I'm also concerned because she advised me to talk about fellowships I'm applying for, but I've never seen that advice anywhere :|

Also, I don't know how to make it work with the rest of my statement... a random paragraph explaining "I will apply for X, Y, and Z"?

These future projects I've discussed i hope to fund via the X Y Z  fellowships I've applied for.

Something like that.