The SUB 310 GRE ACCEPTANCE thread?

SocGirl2013

I saw the thread one for grades. 8 pages of uplifting material for us all applicants. 

My plight is the opposite 3.93 uGPA, 308 GRE very low quant (149) and I am hoping for the best!

So I was wondering if there are similar success stories for people with lower GRE scores who got into PhD programs (better yet, with funding! :))

I'm not sure if its a benchmark per se but some (I/O) PhD programs state their preference for applicants to have GRE's at or above 308 which corresponds to 1200 on the old scale. So, it could be used to weed applicants out early in the admissions process just like a low GPA could. 

From what I've seen, the most competitive applicants score in the 90th percentile in the areas most emphasized by a given major.

More verbal-reasoning-focused areas, such as English, seem to put almost all emphasis on Verbal Reasoning and Analytical Writing.

Quantitative Reasoning might be more important for number-crunching fields, those in which quantitative research methods are heavily involved.

I'd say, your chances MIGHT be better if you score in the 90th percentile in two (or at least one) of these areas. I know plenty of people, for instance, who score perfect marks on the "math" section but feel challenged by the verbal and writing sections.

I had a sub 310 GRE and was accepted to a Ph.D program (with funding :) ). I had a very low quantitative score and it was the bioengineering department that I got into, I had only ever taken 1 quarter of calculus in my undergrad. But I had extensive undergraduate research experience (3 years) and 1 publication.

I'm not sure how heavily schools weight your GRE scores but I know things like research experience and publication look better than a good GRE score.