Do I have a chance? PhD immunology/microbiology

aldoushuxley

I am finishing my B.S. in Biology this December. I am interested in virology and immunology. My GPA is pretty low, though: 3.17. GRE scores are 151 quant, 153 verbal, and 4.5/6 in writing. I have research experience in evolutionary biology and botany and will have a manuscript ready for publication at the beginning of 2014 (freshwater mussel evolution, 2nd author). I have taken a lot of molecular classes and labs so I know a lot of techniques, but have not used them formally for research. Basically, I know my stats are weak. I wrote a strong personal statement and have 3 strong references. I applied to OSU and Tufts PhD programs (I know its a long shot) and a local M.S. program. I am also going to apply to the NIH post-bacc research program which I could do for a year or two to learn molecular laboratory techniques in immunology and/or virology. Anyone have suggestions for me? I know my GRE's and GPA aren't the most ideal, but I think my evolutionary background may be good for an immunology graduate program.

Thanks for the overwhelming response, guys!

Here is an addendum; I am also looking at M.S. programs. Perhaps that route would be better to take. Going into evolutionary biology hasn't been written off though, so I could always look into those programs.

It's so hard to tell a person, "yes, you have a chance, apply," or "no, you have no chance." So much depends on how well your research interests match a department, how many PhD students they can fund that year...factors no one else has any control over. Only the admissions committee can really tell you if you have a chance and, sadly, none of us are the admissions committees (if only we were!) If this is what you want to do with your life, then apply, because the worst that happens is that you lose your application fees. It sounds like you're being realistic and planning for back-up options, so as long as you have those, go for what you want. You never know what "reach" school might actually think you're a perfect fit for one of their faculty members. 

Edited by katethekitcat

• 3 weeks later...

It's so hard to tell a person, "yes, you have a chance, apply," or "no, you have no chance." So much depends on how well your research interests match a department, how many PhD students they can fund that year...factors no one else has any control over. Only the admissions committee can really tell you if you have a chance and, sadly, none of us are the admissions committees (if only we were!) If this is what you want to do with your life, then apply, because the worst that happens is that you lose your application fees. It sounds like you're being realistic and planning for back-up options, so as long as you have those, go for what you want. You never know what "reach" school might actually think you're a perfect fit for one of their faculty members. 

There are a lot of people in the same situation, so it's hard to say one way or another. Your application is already out there now, so just try to stay positive and don't be too worried about the superstars on this site.