Should media coverage on projects be included on the resume?

Lyapunov

Hi Everyone,

I'm guessing someone may have asked this sort of a question before, but I couldn't find a thread similar to this one in the search, so I decided to post on this topic.

A couple of my UG projects have been covered by the national media of my country.

I was checking out some academic resumes, and found a "Publicity" section in a couple of them, where the concerned writers had mentioned such media articles on their previous projects. But these were resumes of professors or post-docs, not applicants.

I was wondering if explicitly adding this sort of a section on my PhD application resume would be a good idea. 

I have already added links to a website where my UG projects are listed, and the website also does have links pointing to the articles. But I don't know if explicitly mentioning the articles in a dedicated section would be considered appropriate.

Thanks!

I think it's neither inappropriate nor necessary to include in your CV. This might depend on your field though, but I think in mine, if the reader is not interested, they would just skip it, no harm done. 

I don't think it's particularly useful for grad school applications though. I would think the reason to include this section would be to demonstrate your ability to communicate about your research with the public, which is a useful skill for jobs that post-docs might apply to (e.g. outside of academia) and also useful for profs to demonstrate (science communication is important to get funding for example). But, at the start of grad school, this experience is not particularly relevant.

So, my opinion is that including it won't really help you that much. However, I don't think it will hurt you either, unless this section is overly long and dominates space on your CV. So, if it's important to you, then put it there but if you want to cut text or minimize content, then get rid of it!