Georgetown MPPI vs MFS?

DreamTeam03

In the future, I want to work in a field related to international development and international policy. In fact, I've been thinking about applying for the Foreign Service after I get my Master's, but this is by no means a certainty.

So, this may be a stupid question, but what's the difference between a MA in Public Policy and and MS in Foreign Service at Georgetown for someone who wants to get into policy/development at the international level?

I've done a bit of research, but the courses seem similar with respect to what I want to do. Would a Masters in Public Policy be more broad, whereas an MS in Foreign Service be more limiting in terms of future job opportunities? I'm not sure. Thoughts?

You are correct, an MPP is a bit more broad, in terms of the career choices that you will have when compared to an MSFS. However, by no means does that mean an MSFS degree is limiting, especially from a place such as GU that has such a well established and reputable program. An MPP is more quant heavy. We have to take 3 Quant courses (statistics) and 2 econ courses (Intermediate Micro and Public Finance). In terms of our stats courses we are also taught how to use Stata. I believe in MSFS you need to take only one Stats course, but not sure about their econ (I know that they have to take International Trade). If you want to do International Development work, both programs have an International Development track. In MSPP the program is called MIDP (it is fairly new), but so far it seems very similar to an MPP in terms of the courses they take (in 1st year), except that rather than Public Policy Process they take an Economic Development course (in 1st term), and their econ courses (in 1st term) seem to use more ID examples. As for the MSFS ID program, dont know much about it so you would have to take a look at it on your own.

You could also do a dual degree, so MSFS/MPP. You will get the two degrees in three years time, so you should check out if that interests you.