Early consideration for UW in. Now to wait and wait and wait....and apply to PSU

Emarouk

Hello,

I wish I had found this site before I sent in my application, there are so many helpful posts here!

My final reference just made it in to UW and now the waiting begins. I'm hoping to attend UW in the fall and to then add a MPH the following fall. UW has a great global focus for the MPH and a strong MSW. I want to work with migrant and immigrant populations, particularly women and children. I'm interested in helping to better the health outcomes for those who are forced to cross borders for work. I'm hoping that the MSW/MPH focus offered at UW with it's global focus will allow me to address issues faced by these populations on various levels; I want to be able to do one on one work as well as policy. 

I've been in the workforce for a long time, though not in social work. My background is in event management, pr, and marketing. While I don't have a lot of experience in social work, I do think that I have a lot of skills, both inherent and those developed through my professional background, that will be useful. I'm hoping that my lack of experience won't be too much of an issue. I have done some research around child obesity and school lunches with a well-known nutritional anthropologist and I've volunteered for the last year and a half with a company to do nutritional seminars for pregnant women and new mothers as well as working as their charity ambassador. 

My GPA is a 3.99 with a 4.2 in my major, cultural anthropology. I also have excellent letters of rec. Here's to hoping!

I applied to PSU as well since I live in Oregon and they have a decent program. If I get into both it will be a difficult decision. UW really feels like my dream school, but PSU is much, much less expensive and I have a great community there, which is important to me since I have a young daughter.

Phew. Thanks for letting me get that all out. I know no one can really tell me my chances, but I've seen such great replies on here that I thought I'd throw it out there to see what you lovely folks have to say....

I'm also curious to hear where people have applied and why? If you're already in a program you love, what do you think makes yours so special? I want to know everything! 

If you go to UW or PSU, I sure would love to hear about your experience. 

• 2 months later...

Hey! Any word from UW yet? I applied there as well but my references didn't make the early consideration deadline so I'm expecting that I'll have to wait a bit... but I had good grades from my BSW as well previous overseas experience and experience with at-risk populations, and also am an RPCV (Peace Corps). I'm so anxious to hear back! I recently got an email concerning my financial aid with them so that got me excited but I'm not sure it means anything...

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard back yet! I'm betting that hearing from financial aid is a good thing...at least from what I've seen in other threads. I haven't even gotten that. Good luck!!! Let me know if you hear back...

Edited by Emarouk