top ten PhD programs in art history according to you....

qwer7890

I think it also depends on your internship, study abroad, and professional experiences. I was in a similar boat as you, but I was able to get a stellar internship between my junior and senior year and then another right after graduating. I've worked 'in the field' now for two years, and took the time to build my resume after I completed my undergraduate degree in 2013. I applied this last cycle and received great offers for both PhD and Masters programs. I ultimately chose the terminal Masters, because I think it will be better for me in the long run, but I still intend to go for the PhD. It isn't all about your undergraduate institution - every one has unique experiences that will make them stand out for one reason or another. Now, I must add, I had some fabulous professors at my state school who are well known and respected in their field, and I'm sure that helped me in my application process. 

On June 25, 2016 at 11:06 AM, condivi said:

Of course it's possible! And you would be doing yourself a huge disservice not to apply. You are, it's true, at a disadvantage, but if your writing sample and personal statement are top notch, you stand a decent chance. You can't know until you apply, and neither do your professors. I would also encourage you to apply for terminal masters programs (funded ones)--that would give you a better platform for apply to top tier phd programs later on. 

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate! You gave me a little hope :) and yes I am definitely applying to funded masters programs. There are not many universities offering such unfortunately, but at least there is something to choose from.  

On June 26, 2016 at 2:24 AM, betsy303 said:

You gotta go with what your gut tells you to do. Different folks will always give you different advice. All I can say is your mentor will be your lifeline and you will be working with him/her/them for a very long period of time (and potentially for most of your academic career as well). Hence, its vital you can work well with the person and feel comfortable. I would put that at the highest priority. There are ways around the prestige of the 10 school as well you should be aware of. I.) There are sub-specialities. II.) You should aim to have a dissertation committee that is interdisciplinary. While the art history faculty member in your field may be mediocre or good, the history dept. or English dept. might have someone extremely well-regarded and wonderful. III.) Not everyone wants to work at a top tier university or art museum. Some really enter a PhD with the goal of working at a community college, liberal arts college, or other local public institution. Those aren't things to be ashamed of either and can be quite rewarding careers. Long story short, your success will depend upon not what the "best school is" but rather the "best school for you." 

Thank you for your thoughts, they are much appreciated. I agree that it is essential to find someone I can work well with. This leads me to another question. My area of interest is a bit peculiar and very specific. I would like to do 19th century Hungarian art, (cross-cultural with French). Now I am not entirely sure if I should look for a professor who specializes in 19th century European art in general, someone whose research interest is cross cultural art, or someone who does specifically French art. I obviously will not find anyone doing Hungarian art. I am just wondering which might work the best, because I don't want to end up applying somewhere where they might not even need me. The only professor I know of so far who does cross cultural art in the 19th century is Meredith Martin at NYU (though her research interest is tied more to the 18th century). I would appreciate any advice on this matter from anyone :)

The only reason why I find the programs of top tier universities more appealing is not their names, but the better access to fellowships and research. But I agree about the fact that not everyone wants to work at a top tier university, and not everyone needs to, in fact. I do not detest the idea of working at a public institution at all, as long as I love what I am doing and teaching, I will be good.

Edited by rrenataaa

6 hours ago, m-artman said:

I think it also depends on your internship, study abroad, and professional experiences. I was in a similar boat as you, but I was able to get a stellar internship between my junior and senior year and then another right after graduating. I've worked 'in the field' now for two years, and took the time to build my resume after I completed my undergraduate degree in 2013. I applied this last cycle and received great offers for both PhD and Masters programs. I ultimately chose the terminal Masters, because I think it will be better for me in the long run, but I still intend to go for the PhD. It isn't all about your undergraduate institution - every one has unique experiences that will make them stand out for one reason or another. Now, I must add, I had some fabulous professors at my state school who are well known and respected in their field, and I'm sure that helped me in my application process. 

Thank you for your thoughts! I see that you are/will be attending Williams College. May I ask your opinion on that institution? 

OK, you can do this! I went to a State school that most people have never heard of, and it was for the same reason as you, it was what I could afford. I just got into an ivy which is a top 5 art history program. This did come with some set backs and I ended up going to the Courtauld Institute for my MA, which is kind of a "seal of approval" for Ivy's. Looking back on the past 4 years of working towards this goal, this is what I believe got me to this point: 

-meeting/working with the right people (and getting their recommendations), attend lectures and conferences, ask for meetings with them for guidance, sit in on classes

-learning several languages relevant to my specific field, so really, having some hard skills which made me more capable than others in carrying out certain aspects of research 

-specializing in an area which has not been tapped or engaging with it in an original way

-learning what matters in my field, what is a relevant or irrelevant question, I would suggest reading academic journals related to your area of interest and honing in on what key issues are coming up and also looking at university websites that post conference lectures and debates

I must be clear though, in working towards this I have lived in several countries and it has taken a lot to built up a knowledge base in a specific field. This has taken me time, and you may need to broaden your education and refine your interests before applying.

I was accepted last year into a top 20 school before attending the Courtauld and turned it down after being advised by professors I trust to reach higher because unfortunately, it is often the case that you cannot teach at a school ranked higher than what you attended for your PhD. This 'latter' is not a system I agree with but it is the truth.

I only say this based on what I know and 'propaganda' I have seen: DO NOT go into any masters which costs $50-100,000 under the impression that you will be accepted into the PhD afterwards. The only terminal masters which have a very strong track record (again from what I know) are Williams College and the Courtauld Institute. Be calculated and continue to reach out to professors for guidance. 

Apologies for the tangents and best of luck!! 

5 hours ago, hleefracesh said:

I was accepted last year into a top 20 school before attending the Courtauld and turned it down after being advised by professors I trust to reach higher because unfortunately, it is often the case that you cannot teach at a school ranked higher than what you attended for your PhD. This 'latter' is not a system I agree with but it is the truth.

I think this is largely true, with a big HOWEVER. There are many examples of placements from other types of institutions - an Irvine hire at Notre Dame, Wisconsin at Oberlin, and an OSU at Cornell. There are many successful folks from Bryn Mawr (despite an albeit small program and not many other PhD granting disciplines). 

Since we are on the subject of Top 10 doctoral programs in art history, I was wondering if anyone on the board could shed some light on Minnesota's program. As far as I'm aware the program is very well-regarded when it comes to South Asian art and architecture, but what about other areas? The team of South Asian professors, Frederick and Catherine Asher have now retired, thus, I am wondering if there have there been any replacements for their positions? What is the general perception of Minnesota's program amongst other art history departments nation-wide? How would one classify this program in a list, if one must (solely to make matters of decision easier)? Minnesota's placement rate for South Asianists is absolutely stellar with graduates in tenure/tenure-track positions at Johns Hopkins, Berkeley, The College of New Jersey, Vanderbilt University, and the University of Toronto/Royal Ontario Museum, but is that likely to continue with the Ashers' retirement? Please any help/advise would be greatly appreciated!

4 hours ago, equestrian19 said:

Since we are on the subject of Top 10 doctoral programs in art history, I was wondering if anyone on the board could shed some light on Minnesota's program. As far as I'm aware the program is very well-regarded when it comes to South Asian art and architecture, but what about other areas? The team of South Asian professors, Frederick and Catherine Asher have now retired, thus, I am wondering if there have there been any replacements for their positions? What is the general perception of Minnesota's program amongst other art history departments nation-wide? How would one classify this program in a list, if one must (solely to make matters of decision easier)? Minnesota's placement rate for South Asianists is absolutely stellar with graduates in tenure/tenure-track positions at Johns Hopkins, Berkeley, The College of New Jersey, Vanderbilt University, and the University of Toronto/Royal Ontario Museum, but is that likely to continue with the Ashers' retirement? Please any help/advise would be greatly appreciated!

Besides for Asian, Minnesota strictly speaking in terms of art history is a  probably a middle of the line road program. However, I think this has alot to do with older folks retiring off and having a newer group of young scholars. Hence, it may be in a transitionary period, with potential to grow. I think of it kind of like Wisconsin or Chapel Hill. Something that I really want to HIGHLIGHT is a place like Minnesota or Wisconsin or even Irvine  have very good English departments and outstanding history departments. People in these related departments are potential dissertation committee members as well. Something to think of.....

• 1 month later...

Hi! I'm an Italian graduate student: BA and MA in Art History in a public university and a MA in Museum Studies in a private university; some experiences in Italian museums  and a traineeship abroad (UK). I'd like to apply for a Phd program in Art History in the US. I've made a list of the most interesting programs with scholarship, but I'm wondering if you can help me to understand which program could be the best for me. My specialization is Modern and Contemporary Art and I'm focusing my studies on the conceptual art.

Do you know other European students who have already done my choice to study overseas?  Do you know by any chance if they can be a little bit more flexible about the GRE score?

Any additional advice is more than welcome

Thanks for your help!