Nominated for a fellowship before I even submitted my application?

wardword

Okay, I'm sort of nervous about this.

There is one school that has a pretty earlier funding deadline compared to all of my other schools, and I only have five days before it is due. Although I opened up an application, I was planning on not applying there because it only has funding at the Ph.D level and I was not terribly thrilled at applying for a Ph.D, and also the application fee is nearly DOUBLE the cost of all my other schools. So I've submitted my scores, my letters and most of the application, but I have not paid or submitted my SOP.

But today I get an email from the actual department (not the graduate school) urging me to complete my application as soon as possible because I was being nominated for a fellowship! I didn't even think they LOOKED at unsubmitted applications, but the email said they were nominating based on GRE and GPA. 

So my question is, how big of a chance is there that I could still be denied admission from this point? If they're telling me I'm nominated, is that a good sign that I'll probably get in, or is it completely unrelated? I don't mind NOT eventually getting the fellowship because I know I'm just nominated and it's not for sure, but I hate to pay all that money if my chances of getting in aren't pretty secure.

Summed up question: Would you pay a hefty admission fee for a school you were considering dropping if they told you that you were being nominated for a fellowship?

EDIT: Oh, I wanted to add that they said my nomination was based on my writing sample as well. Just to let you know, I had made no contact with this school before and had no idea that they looked over your materials before you formally submitted!

Edited by wardword

Weird! Haven't heard of this happening before. I'm surprised they would like at your application before submitting. I think if the department at that particular school has a reasonably good reputation, I would recommend applying. If it's sort of an unknown program, I would be skeptical of their unusual practices and probably avoid it. Anyway good luck and I hope it works out for you.