Questions on what to include in a statement of purpose

I know these must have been answered before but I have a few questions about making a "statement of purpose" (microbiology grad programs)

1. When describing my previous research experience (only 1 formal experience, I am currently continuing this research at the same lab) should I name who I did research under? or just name the school?

2. I am going to a four year school that is not research oriented at all. The only lab experience previous to my current research (which I am performing at another school an hour away) I had was during lab classes, one experience was a semester-long organic chemistry group research project for which my group and I presented a poster at our school's research symposium. How (if at all) could I integrate this kind of lab experience?

Thanks for your time. 

1.  The name of the prof/advisor/PI is not important unless he/she has an impressive name or is working on something really cutting edge.  Really, what you should consider is how your SoP reads. If dropping the name fits well into your narrative, include it.  If dropping the name feels out-of-place or simply unnecessary, leave it out. 

2.  This won't help you now, but I went to two universities for undergrad; both were definitely not research schools.  Not in the slightest.  But, both had biology and chemistry profs who were doing research, on campus.  As for that semester-long orgo project: I would definitely include it.  Did your team design its own project?  If so, mention how you lent a hand in the initial research and/or design.  Were you a team lead?  Or just another "player" in the project.  If you took initiative to lead the group in any way (but don't stretch this too far), include that.  Did you even like the experience?  What did it teach you about doing research?  

Personally, aside from including what I mentioned above, I would write that this orgo lab project gave me a glimpse into what doing real research was like, and even though it was tough and tedious at times, I loved it.  I loved it so much that I sought out an opportunity to conduct research an hour away from my home school. This shows initiative, drive, and desire.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

1.  The name of the prof/advisor/PI is not important unless he/she has an impressive name or is working on something really cutting edge.  Really, what you should consider is how your SoP reads. If dropping the name fits well into your narrative, include it.  If dropping the name feels out-of-place or simply unnecessary, leave it out. 

2.  This won't help you now, but I went to two universities for undergrad; both were definitely not research schools.  Not in the slightest.  But, both had biology and chemistry profs who were doing research, on campus.  As for that semester-long orgo project: I would definitely include it.  Did your team design its own project?  If so, mention how you lent a hand in the initial research and/or design.  Were you a team lead?  Or just another "player" in the project.  If you took initiative to lead the group in any way (but don't stretch this too far), include that.  Did you even like the experience?  What did it teach you about doing research?  

Personally, aside from including what I mentioned above, I would write that this orgo lab project gave me a glimpse into what doing real research was like, and even though it was tough and tedious at times, I loved it.  I loved it so much that I sought out an opportunity to conduct research an hour away from my home school. This shows initiative, drive, and desire.  

Thanks, that helps a lot, especially your last part. It's been tough putting this together!