Referencing a poor first semester at all in SoP/PH?

Hello everyone,

Here's the situation I'm in (skip to the bottom if you don't want to read this part):

Like many people, I wasn't ready for college when I was 18 years old. I didn't really want to go, I wasn't enjoying it my first semester, and consequently I failed everything except one class, was put on academic probation. I considered dropping out then and there, but instead I decided to do everything in my power to do as well as I could the second semester, get off probation, and then leave. Which is exactly what I did!

I spent 2-3 years out of school. Eventually I felt ready to go back, and after having experienced a little more about the "real world," I loved it and excelled in it, and even was able to get research experience and publish a thesis.

My last 100 credits, at the school I transferred to after this first one, have a GPA of 3.81 and nothing less than a B+.

tl;dr: Since it's probably obvious to anyone looking at this that my first semester is not at all a reflection of my academic achievement and abilities, is it even worth mentioning/drawing attention to this in a SoP or Personal History? What about the 2-3 years I wasn't in school? I'm applying to programs in the social sciences for what its worth. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Thanks for the response.

Does anyone think this would warrant mention in anything, including an "extenuating circumstances" prompt, considering that this was my very first semester? I think the story I told would be obvious to an admissions committee looking at this without even saying anything...

Edited by Heliosphan

Thanks for the response.

Does anyone think this would warrant mention in anything, including an "extenuating circumstances" prompt, considering that this was my very first semester? I think the story I told would be obvious to an admissions committee looking at this without even saying anything...

No problem. :D While your story might seem obvious to you, it's difficult to say how other people might view your first semester and subsequent break. They might even find it strange that you don't address a nontraditional undergraduate path, especially if the application contains space for you to do so. If you have the opportunity to briefly and tastefully frame what happened, I would take it. Additionally, if you have close relationships with your recommendation letter writers, I've heard that it's often advantageous for them to explain any extenuating circumstances. 

Edited by hj2012

Hello everyone,

Here's the situation I'm in (skip to the bottom if you don't want to read this part):

Like many people, I wasn't ready for college when I was 18 years old. I didn't really want to go, I wasn't enjoying it my first semester, and consequently I failed everything except one class, was put on academic probation. I considered dropping out then and there, but instead I decided to do everything in my power to do as well as I could the second semester, get off probation, and then leave. Which is exactly what I did!

I spent 2-3 years out of school. Eventually I felt ready to go back, and after having experienced a little more about the "real world," I loved it and excelled in it, and even was able to get research experience and publish a thesis.

My last 100 credits, at the school I transferred to after this first one, have a GPA of 3.81 and nothing less than a B+.

tl;dr: Since it's probably obvious to anyone looking at this that my first semester is not at all a reflection of my academic achievement and abilities, is it even worth mentioning/drawing attention to this in a SoP or Personal History? What about the 2-3 years I wasn't in school? I'm applying to programs in the social sciences for what its worth. Thanks in advance for any responses.

I'd focus on your recent history. If anything start where the story becomes compelling and interesting - mention how your real world experience put you in a position with knowledge to succeed.

You'll probably get asked if you've ever been on academic probation in another portion of the app. You can discuss all that there.

And i concur, if anything it belongs in the personal history - your SOP should be about your goals, the future, and how your past is a foundation to succeed at those stated goals.

Edited by Loric