who to ask dilemma

I'm applying to M. Ed programs and I am a little late to the game, so my first deadline is only about 3 weeks away. I graduated from college 18 months ago and I have been working at a high school since two weeks after graduation. I need three LOR's for all my programs, and I luckily have two secured: one from a professor with whom I worked closely and had a great relationship, and another from a teacher whom I student-taught for my senior year (who happens to be an alum of my college). My dilemma is the 3rd. I know it needs to be someone I work with now, but I have not wanted to share with anyone in my current community that I'm thinking about leaving. Should I suck it up and ask my direct supervisor, letting her know I'm leaving? Or would it be okay to ask a colleague that I am on great terms with, who I think might be able to keep a secret?

Any advice from you guys would be amazing! Thank you!

It may be helpful for us to know whether or not the position is contractual and what the employee turnover rate is like for this employer, if you know anything about this.

Simply based on the brief description you provided on your situation, it seems like a 2 year commitment to your employer may be fairly reasonable before moving on to pursue new opportunities. You are a new graduate and often times young people haven't completely figured out their career goals until they've entered the job market and developed a clearer picture of where they would like to go next.

I think a reference letter from your superior would be much better to use than a letter from a colleague, as it may look like you are trying to hide something unfavourable about your work performance by not asking her. If you think you are a strong candidate for the programs you are looking at, I would seriously consider asking your supervisor.

Edited by jenste