Penn State's online Geospatial Intelligence certificate programs?

Authorization

For future (post-degree) consideration: has anyone here done either of these certificate programs? (Analytics or Applications) If so, did you find them informative, and would you recommend them to someone with limited or no knowledge of the topic? 

• 4 months later...

I have not done it personally, but my co-worker completed it in about 9 months while statoned in Afghanistan.  He told me that it was useful, and that you would learn everything you need to know to be GIS competent.  He just got picked up to teach at West Point Geography department, and he credits this course with it.  It does cost a few thousand dollars, but for him it was worth it.  I am considering taking it as well, if I am accepted into t a research only program, ie programs in UK. 

• 4 months later...

IMHO online degrees tend to be of consequence for people who are already more or less in the job/industry they want to be in and want to ameliorate their skills to include more technical/analytical skills.  That being said, I don't know how helpful these degrees are to someone who does not already have their food in the door.  I am a GIS researcher and went to a program that gave us the options of taking online or on campus classes, and chose the on-campus option.  Being on-campus granted me two opportunities: 1. access to graduate assistantships and 2. access to research, which inevitably got me the job I have now.  I understand that these degrees are sometimes the only options some people have (such as in the example DavePark gave), but if you are not already in the field, I recommend an in-person degree that would allow you access to the professors and possibly grant you the potential of LORs.