When to lose hope?

zacharylamel

I contacted my number one grad program today, and they told me that letters will be sent out at the end of the week. That means that I will probably get the letter around April 10th...that means 5 days to weigh all options and get decisions to the schools. Would a school really admit someone at the end of the wire like that, or should I expect a rejection? Just curious to see what has happened in the past.

Depends on the school. Depends on the program. There is really no way of knowing, though I suspect it's a rejection. Honestly, though, there is no reason you can't weigh your options before you get that letter, and make a decision within 5 days. Would you take this school over your other offers? What if the funding were better? What if the funding were worse? What school would you go to if this school rejected you?

Those are really the only possibilities, so if you know the answer to those four questions, you don't need to deliberate any further.

• 2 weeks later...