Prof-Student Interaction

Mindundone

I'm a female 5th year undergraduate (taking some grad courses as I transition, so I felt this to be an appropriate site), science major. Took 2 courses w/ a professor in Russian dept & I did very well & got along well with prof. After recently interacting with him, he ran into me & asked if I was interesting in TAing for him. 

Since then, he FWD'd applications he thought would be interesting for me, etc. Long story short, I appreciate the opportunities & friendliness, but am unsure of the motivation. I am in an entirely diff department and a close friend thought it odd than a prof from a lang dept would be so eager to do so much with me. I am curious as to whether or not other believe this to be odd & suggestive of a non-academic interest on his part, or if I am looking too far into it? Thanks.

Edited by Eigen
Details removed at request of Poster.

II'm a female 5th year undergraduate (taking some grad courses as I transition, so I felt this to be an appropriate site), science major. Took 2 courses w/ a professor in Russian dept & I did very well & got along well with prof. After recently interacting with him, he ran into me & asked if I was interesting in TAing for him. 

Since then, he FWD'd applications he thought would be interesting for me, etc. Long story short, I appreciate the opportunities & friendliness, but am unsure of the motivation. I am in an entirely diff department and a close friend thought it odd than a prof from a lang dept would be so eager to do so much with me. I am curious as to whether or not other believe this to be odd & suggestive of a non-academic interest on his part, or if I am looking too far into it? Thanks.

He just sounds like a foreigner. All of my foreign PI's and bosses had similar quirks, including the winking. (I'm a guy.)

Unless he does something blatantly over the line that makes you very uncomfortable, I think he's just being nice/thinks you're actually a good candidate for all these opportunities.

DTB

I'd assume nothing. Take his interest at face value and accept it if you're comfortable, or decline if you would prefer to keep your distance. Unless there are obvious blatant clues that he is inappropriately interested, I would not read into things. Do make sure that your interactions are in the public and stay professional (door open when you are in his office, no going off campus for an activity or whatnot), but from what you say I have no reason to expect that your interactions will be anything but professional.

One of my older professor's has displayed an investment in the success of my academic career - this shows how he interacts with all his students - personal emails, phone calls, winks, fist bumps, and smiley in-jokes in class - including me. 

Really consider that perhaps he is really trying to support you because you are a qualified candidate. 

- Also, you can TA in his class because you have taken 2 courses with him - I've been offered a position where I'd never taken any coursework.

Edited by iampheng

You are looking way too far into it. Often things can be misinterpreted when faculty/students are from different countries and, therefore, have different customs. I studied in two different countries and I remember very well the vast differences between student/professor interaction and even the way e-mails would be addressed!