Admission to a new program

I'm currently a 2nd year PhD in chemical engineering at a top 40 program.  I'm contemplating dropping the program and applying somewhere else.  I didn't pass the qualifier the first time (I do get a retake, I'm confident I can pass, but I wonder about whether or not some of the faculty want me here) and I ended up in my 2nd choice lab which is going ok, but not great.  

I've heard a theme throughout graduate school, specifically engineering that "you only get one shot at a PhD."  As I understand it, this implies that once you're first admitted and join an engineering PhD program, you either get the PhD with that program or you don't get the PhD at all.  In other words, a potential new programs will not (or are at least less likely) to accept me because my thesis masters degree was effectively a consolation prize to dropping out of my previous PhD program. 

Is there any truth to this, in engineering or other fields?  Will programs be hesitant or apprehensive about accepting me knowing I didn't make it in another program?  I did have several other offers with funding when I applied last time.  I would think now having a bachelors and a masters with a thesis would make me a stronger candidate even if I chose not to continue with a program.  

I welcome any thoughts, advice, or related stories on the culture of this matter.

Edited by CaneBear

In my field, I think there is a sense of "only one shot at a PhD", because if you couldn't make it in a PhD program in one place, it makes other programs very hesitant to take you on as their PhD student. A PhD student costs a ton of money--much more than our stipends. So, given a choice between an undergrad with potential and a former PhD student with a previously unsuccessful record, the schools might prefer to invest in the undergrad. Basically, having a Masters doesn't always mean your chances are better--the school now has more material on which to judge you and if your Masters experience was not good, it could hurt you.

But I don't think it's impossible. Like TakeMyCoffeeBlack says, you have to frame it positively and make smart decisions on where you apply next. It sounds like your current program is not a good fit for you either. However, I think you might find it very hard to get into a PhD program if you apply right now, or even next year (right after you finish your MS). Schools will wonder what has really changed since your "consolation" Masters that makes things different. It might help to find other academic work in the meantime and demonstrate research ability. Also, this would help you get more/better LORs.

@ TakeMyCoffeeBlack:  Yes, I've done well other than the qualifier.  My grades in my first year were above the average of my PhD class and I've built up the reputation of being one of the hardest working graduate students in the department. 

@ TakeruK: I'm not currently working on applications to any other programs for next year and don't plan on it.  I haven't made a decision about whether or not I am staying in my current lab.  If I do decide to leave, I'll have the masters by the end of this spring semester, after the summer at the latest.  I would probably go work in the field for a year (maybe longer) and then reapply for another program starting August 2015.

Thank you both for your input.