UC Riverside Financial Information for International PhD Applicants

Calorific

Hello good people,

I am applying to UC Riverside as an international PhD applicant and there is a section where one is basically required to fill out a financial statement form as to whether one would be contributing personal, family/friend, or government sponsorship towards the realization of one's graduate education.

Thing is I am not expecting to contribute my personal savings or that of any family or friend as I am hoping for a TA/RAship that would fund my PhD program (I know it would be competitive). Do you think this would automatically throw my application into the unserious pack if I am honest in the application?

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks!

Hello,

I had to fill out similar forms (am also applying as an international student). Two of my schools asked questions like "Does your acceptance of admission depend on receiving funding from the university?" One also asked me to submit proof of funds. Fortunately my parents have enough savings in the bank that they could give me a bank statement showing enough funds for one year, but there is no way I would let them pay out anything for my PhD. I'm also hoping for scholarship/fellowship/TAship. 

I wrote to that school, the one that asked for the statement of funds, and they said it was compulsory to submit. I find this quite problematic, as I'm sure a lot of people would have trouble showing proof of funds in the bank... 

I doubt they'd throw out an application if you can't show proof of funding right now. I would write to them, explain the situation and ask if this can wait till after you receive an offer. I did do this, but was told that it had to be submitted now (mind you, the graduate office I wrote to seemed a little hazy). 

All the best and do report back on what they say! 

Thank you, bombilfry. I checked somewhere on my department website and they actually said statements are not required for now.

At least, not until an admission decision is made. Fingers crossed, chin cupped in hollow of palm :) :)