ASU re-starts PhD program

wandajune

I'm a bit unsure about that myself. I was already planning on applying there for the MA though, and now it seems that it would be silly not to apply to the PhD. Hm.

It would be silly. ASU's PhD program will be unranked without a placement history. Look at Texas A&M. They had/have a very solid MA program that places people into top PhD programs. Then they introduced their own PhD program. By no means should anyone want to go to A&M for a PhD, when they can get an MA there, and end up at USC or Princeton.

It would be silly. ASU's PhD program will be unranked without a placement history. Look at Texas A&M. They had/have a very solid MA program that places people into top PhD programs. Then they introduced their own PhD program. By no means should anyone want to go to A&M for a PhD, when they can get an MA there, and end up at USC or Princeton.

I agree with that. It just seems to me like new PhD programs is the last thing the profession needs. If I was the one making these decisions, I'd much rather be a top 10 MA program that is relevant than an unranked PhD program that no one goes to.

It's not quite the same situation. When ASU closed its program, it was ranked in the mid-40s (it scored 2.5/2.5). There have been some changes in the faculty roster (notably the loss of Stewart Cohen), but they've also hired in the interim. They have a placement history, just not much of one for the last five years (they'll have some, since they presumably grandfathered their existing students, but there will be a gap in the record for the next couple years as those who would have attended their program would have entered the market). It'll probably figure in the next edition of the Gourmet Report.

So it's not at all the same situation, although your cautions do still apply. One might be loathe to attend a program that might shut its doors again. On the other hand, it seems unlikely they'd have reopened those doors unless they were confident the money was there in the mid- and long-terms. One big downside is that the graduate student community will have been destroyed, and the first few cohorts will be quite alone. So those of you who apply there would be well-served to give it a big think if you're accepted, and to make some inquiries.