SAIS v LSE ($) v Geneva HEI ($)

Yes, another post prompted by indecisiveness. I have been accepted into SAIS (no $), LSE MSc Development Studies (potentially full ride), Geneva HEI (full ride) and UCSD IR/PS (12.5k/year) - all as an international student.

Of these, I believe the SAIS MA is the most rigorous and would offer the best education (esp as I have no econ experience). Is SAIS worth taking out 80k in loans though, particularly as I'm interested in 'international' jobs in Washington/NYC, rather than trying to tap into the US govt/foreign service? I already have govt experience and would ultimately like to work for int orgs in a political analyst/humanitarian coordination type role, including in the field. Any insights/advice on post-MA Washington career prospects for non-US citizens more broadly (outside key employers like the World Bank) would be great too. Thanks!

What track would you do at HEI? If you got accepted into the International Economics track, I think it would definitely be the most rigorous of any of the schools you're considering.

HEI is a great school with amazing connections in Geneva. As an international student, I imagine it would be easier to find a place in an international org in Geneva rather than in NYC or D.C.. I think you should seriously consider the option.

What track would you do at HEI? If you got accepted into the International Economics track, I think it would definitely be the most rigorous of any of the schools you're considering.

HEI is a great school with amazing connections in Geneva. As an international student, I imagine it would be easier to find a place in an international org in Geneva rather than in NYC or D.C.. I think you should seriously consider the option.

Thanks for your reply younglions. At HEI I applied for the Masters in International Affairs (MIA), which is interdisciplinary - I didn't want to focus solely on international law or economics. If you don't mind me asking, why do you think it would be easier to find work with an int org in Geneva over NYC/DC? And what about other jobs in DC outside of the US govt?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Am I too late to jump in? Paying out a lot of $ for SAIS is not necessarily a good idea given the economy now. LSE and HEI can give you the same value in terms of networking opportunities. Also European programs give you access to different types jobs related to International Affairs.