what to do for a year after nothing but rejections?

i still have 6 apps pending, but at this stage of the game i'm holding on by a thread. in the realistic scenario in which i am rejected everywhere what in the world can i do for a year that makes me a more attractive applicant for next year? i've been out of school for over 2 years and have been teaching and tutoring, but nothing at a truly 'academic' level. i need to do something more intensive and directly related to what i want to study, but what???

i'm interested in interdisciplinary math and applied math towards the physical sciences.

I'm actually in the same boat! I'm doing my best to maintain a sufficient level of optimism, but reality is starting to kick in and at this point, it's not a good sign. It's my second time around in this graduate application process, and I would really benefit from some practical advice on what I can do.

Anyway, I aspire to obtain a master's degree in statistics (although my undergraduate emphasis was in social behavioral science, with a concentration in psychology). It's a complicated story, but to get straight to the point, I attended a liberal arts university and faced certain limitations.

I've taken a variety of math classes (including some after I had graduated from undergrad, at a local community college), and I plan to enroll in two for the summer term, but I wanted to get some advice from some students (preferably those who have actually been admitted to a master's program) on how I can better prepare for a statistics master's program.

Here's some background info:

- Statistics (I performed an experiment involving 2x2/3x3 chi-square tests and correlation tests, with data obtained from on-campus students)

- Calculus 1

- Calculus 2

- Calculus 3

- Discrete Mathematics

- Linear Algebra

- Social Science Research Methods (not math, but involved concepts relating to research design)

- Capstone project (involved use of SPSS, zero-order correlation study, multiple linear regression analysis)

- Intro to Computer Science (basic programming, and a pre-requisite for a programming language I plan to take in the summer)

- Some experience as a "statistics tutor" at my undergrad

And, I plan to take Probability Theory and Regression Analysis this summer (hopefully I am able to enroll in these classes), and I will either take a programming language class this summer or this upcoming Fall term. Also, I might become a math/statistics tutor at the local community college for next year, pending how I perform on an test and interview/screening next week.

But, what are some other classes I can take, or things I can do to help beef up my academic resume? Right now, it's tough to gain actual research/intern experience based on my background (no B.S. in statistics/math, so I'm somewhat disadvantaged to obtain any intern/research assistant experience, etc). Please offer advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-- Jr./Sr. Level course on Probability Theory

-- Jr./Sr. Level course on something else from stats (regression, analysis of variance, time series, something like that)

-- Real Analysis

Also, make sure your linear algebra course was abstract and rigorous. The linear algebra that's taught along with differential equations in some schools, for example, doesn't count.

• 3 weeks later...

I am almost in the same scenario myself; Though I am yet to hear from 5 schools (hope is a dangerous thing), I am 0/6 in 2008 and 0/9 in 2009 till now. Don't know what I am gonna do this year. The best option that comes to my mind is enrolling in graduate classes like Real Analysis, Topology, or Complex Analysis in a good neighboring university, and proving that you can at least handle the course load. Adding good grades in higher level classes to your transcript should certainly help the cause next time around.

BayAreaStat, I was in a somewhat similar situation...I have a business degree in Statistics - so I've taken most of your stats courses, but I'm a little weak on the pure math (which hurt me at some top programs). I would recommend you take

1. A course in regression and ANOVA, or some linear modeling class.

2. a mathematical statistics course

3. Elementary Real Analysis

4. Some other stats course...generalized linear models, stochastic processes, sampling theory, nonparametrics, experimental design, etc...whatever interests you. :)

Best of luck to everyone in making decisions, etc!!