Internship Experience - thoughts?

Sighco studies

In my program we have two internships - usually in two different settings, although they can be in the same area. Currently I have a great internship with a psychotherapist. It's been an excellent learning experience and I have actually been invited back for the second internship. I am honored by the invitation, but now am wondering what is best for my future?

The setting is almost exactly what I would like to be doing, so 2 additional semesters there will refine the skills that will support my goal. Great! BUT, many psychotherapist jobs are looking for psych hospital experience. Doing my next internship in a psych hospital will give me a broader range of experience and the additional benefit of another "job" on my resume. That's good for me because my background is in an entirely different field and I can use all the resume boosters I can get.

Any suggestions for how I should be viewing this? Fresh perspective?

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question. Grad school internships are a chance not only to gain expertise in your area of interest but also to gain exposure to parts of the practice that you might not have otherwise explored. If psychotherapy is your goal, you will have plenty of opportunities once you graduate to refine those skills. My two cents -- work in the psych hospital. Even if you end up in private practice, it will provide invaluable experiences to inform your future work.