Petroleum Engineering MS

petr. engineering

I heard back from TAMU and it's again a rejection, unluckily :(

Sorry to hear that man! Have you heard anything from LSU? I applied to the University of Louisiana Lafayette and after speaking to the graduate coordinator, I have been accepted to the program, however, I don't have an official acceptance yet! But I'm glad to have been accepted there and from what I've found online its a fairly good program. Still waiting on LSU though!

Sorry to hear that man! Have you heard anything from LSU? I applied to the University of Louisiana Lafayette and after speaking to the graduate coordinator, I have been accepted to the program, however, I don't have an official acceptance yet! But I'm glad to have been accepted there and from what I've found online its a fairly good program. Still waiting on LSU though!

Hi Aloks,

Nothing yet from LSU. Neither from CSM. I'll let you know when I hear back. Do you have some info abt graduate program of LSU? How is it ranked? I just put it in my submission plan as a back up university. I never thought I would get a rejection from TAMU.

Hi Aloks,

Nothing yet from LSU. Neither from CSM. I'll let you know when I hear back. Do you have some info abt graduate program of LSU? How is it ranked? I just put it in my submission plan as a back up university. I never thought I would get a rejection from TAMU.

If you haven't heard from CSM still, you should call, they have made all their decisions. I called the front office at LSU and some lady said they expect to announce all their results by late this week/early next week. LSU is a fairly good program especially for drilling engineering. They have a state of the art Petroleum Engineering Research & Technology Transfer Laboratory which is an industrial-scale facility with full-scale equipment and instrumentation for conducting training and research related to borehole technology. I believe its the only school in the US to have such a facility. Also, its location by the gulf and close to industry makes it a pretty easy spot for recruiters to get students from and easier for students to network because of the proximity to industry. There are no official rankings, but from some forums and all I think it would certainly be in the top 10 of the ~17 schools that offer the program in the US.

I'm quoting this from a forum so take this with a grain of salt, but "Let me know if you have more questions. I get my information from former and current recruiters at one of the largest oil companies.Here is their list from where Major oil companies recruit the most from this current year.

1. UT Austin - best school for reservoir engineering

2. Texas A and M - the best school for loyal alumni network

3. LSU - the best school for drilling engineering

4. University of Oklahoma - Great program and it has advanced facilities

5. Texas Tech - This is the underrated school for years

6. Penn State - expansion in Marcellus Shale causes high recruitment

7. Colorado School of Mines - Great school academically but slowly falling behind

8. University of Tulsa - Small but nice school

9. University of Louisiana at Lafayette: You don't hear about this but this is like the secret backdoor to getting hired by a major oil company because of its key location.

10. West Virginia University - same thing as Penn State

And others."

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/engineering-majors/1563400-is-petroleum-engineering-a-good-major-to-get-into-now-help-p3.html

Is anyone still waiting for a response from TAMU?

I still haven't received any communication from the TAMU Petroleum department, and my emails have gone unanswered. 

Is anyone still waiting for a response from TAMU?

I still haven't received any communication from the TAMU Petroleum department, and my emails have gone unanswered. 

I know a fellow who is waiting for a response from TAMU. Can you please share your profile? Your GRE score, GPA etc?

GRE: Q:165 V: 163

GPA: 3.75 (2nd Tier State)

The AIS system shows that I've submitted all the required documents, and I've sent emails to multiple people in the Petroleum department. 

So far no response of any kind.

GRE: Q:165 V: 163

GPA: 3.75 (2nd Tier State)

The AIS system shows that I've submitted all the required documents, and I've sent emails to multiple people in the Petroleum department. 

So far no response of any kind.

I wish you hear back soon. You've good profile.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

The wait is just killing me so I figured I'd start a thread. I have applied to Stanford, USC, Penn St, Texas AM and UT- Austin. Anyone else apply to those schools?

Can you please share highlights about your profile ?

• 2 months later...

Since I registered to the forum, got so stressed. I applied for Texas Tech, University of Oklahoma and Missouri University. I am so down because my GRE is too low 139 - verbal, 152 - math. I didn't hear anybody could get that much low score from GRE for Petroleum Engineering. Don't know what to do

• 1 month later...

Hello to guys that posted on this thread. I am presently accepted at the University of Louisiana lafayette Pet Eng Ms program. I want to know how good this program really. I am weary at pursuing a program that may not lead to job prospects. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have a 2.86 CGPA in Undergraduate course of applied petroleum engineering from University of petroleum, India. I Expect to get 325 In GRE. I have 1 year of work experience in oil and gas industry. 

Can anyone please tell me weather this is enough to get me into good school in USA or Canada. I am very eager to persue MS in pertroleum technology.