Masters grade on CV?

s2k

Hi everyone,

I am compiling my CV for the first time, and I was wondering, should you put your grades on there? I'm assuming cumulative GPA, under masters heading (I'm in my third year, now working on comp exams)? But also what can you do with your grade on your actual masters thesis? 

I did get an A+ on my masters, but no one told me if this constitutes any sort of 'mention' or 'honors' - should I just ask my graduate advisor, just list my grade, or put nothing? I don't want to come across as tacky - above all!!

Wouldn't all of this appear on your transcript? I did not include any sort of GPA on my CVs--for each school, I just listed the degree name, my thesis title and my supervisor's name.

I only got a letter grade for my undergrad thesis course (there was a course coordinator and we were graded on quality of writing and presentation during our proposal writeup, proposal defense, mid-year report talk, final defense/talk, and final written thesis). All my other thesis research courses were graded on a Pass/Fail basis.

ah true, I hadn't thought of the transcript.  the thing is, it is my thesis advisor who asked for my CV (in order to write a rec) and he didn't advise me on my masters…. sooo I essentially wanted to impress him, since I asked him if he wanted to see my transcript and he waived his hand and said it wasn't necessary.  eh, it is the same department, so maybe he knows already? my graduate advisor told me she'd never heard of anyone else getting an a+

but yeah I don't know why we get grades for these things, we also get a grade on our comp exams.

Okay, then it's probably fine to just include the grades on your CV that you're sending to your LOR writer for the purposes of informing them about your history. But if he didn't want to see your transcript, then he probably won't be impressed by your grades either. The CV that you send to your LOR writer for this purpose doesn't have to be the same document as what you actually submit and I wouldn't put GPA or grades info in CV for grad school applications.

I think that you should include the title of your thesis and your adviser, and leave it at that. I've also never heard of anyone putting their comps grades anywhere. Most of these milestones are considered P/F, even if you get feedback (quantitative or qualitative) along the way.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

It's pointless to list every grade or even your GPA since they have your transcript. However, I think I did list the GPA from each institution I graduated from since I got an associate's from a community college first. So my CV was like:

BLA BLA COMMUNITY COLLEGE

ASSOCIATE'S OF ARTS 

4.0, WITH HONORS

BLA BLA UNIVERSITY

BACHELOR'S OF ARTS IN BLA BLA 

4.0, SUMMA CUM LAUDE 

Also, I listed some classes and/or things I learned from classes in the SKILLS section of my CV since I'm applying to a field that I didn't get my BA in. I listed them to let them know I'm qualified for the program. I figured it's better than them picking through my entire transcript to find relevant classes. But if you already have a degree in what you're applying for, I don't think you need to qualify yourself by listing classes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just. don't. ever. put your GPA on your CV.

Email the CV to the professor and in the body of the (short) email, 'remind' them that you finished your program with a X.XX GPA overall and X.XX GPA in the major and you accomplished XYZ.

And/OR include a single page bullet point list of accomplishments they can reference when writing the letter.

How you format your CV speaks to your attention to professional standards in the discipline and reflects on you as a candidate.