sending new scores after a deadline?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

So, here's the deal... I took the GRE last year without studying at all. I got a 155 on each section. The reason I didn't study was because I decided against applying to grad schools since I wanted to spend an extra year in undergrad. I already paid the $185 for the test so I took it anyway. 

Fast forward a year... I'll actually be applying to grad schools this year as I'm officially wrapping up my undergrad. I'm only applying to 4 schools (2 MAs and 2 MSs in computational linguistics). Only one of the school's (my last choice) has an earlier deadline than the others (January 15th). I'll be applying to the other 3 schools at or around March 1st, so I'll be taking the GRE in early-mid February. I'll actually study so I'm expecting 160+ on each. However, my new official scores won't be in till about 6 weeks after the deadline for my January 15th school. 

Anyway... I was thinking, since this is my last choice, I'd just send them the old scores in my application, then send them the new scores (6 weeks later) as soon as they come in. Of course, I'd email them and briefly explain the situation. It wouldn't be the end of the world since I wouldn't even go to this school if I got into any of the others, but since I'm only applying to 4 schools I can't take any chances. Of course, their decision may or may not have already been made by the time the new scores arrive, but if it hasn't yet been made I was thinking of just saying "the hell with it" and sending them my new scores. 

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has heard any like this before. I mean, we're talking a whole 6 weeks after their deadline. Worst case scenario, they don't accept the new scores. But I figure it's worth a shot. 

I actually just turned in new scores after the deadline- app was due Dec 1st but my GRE was on the 4th. I contacted the head of the ad-com and was informed to leave the score section on the app blank and just have ETS send them my scores. I self-reported my scores to them about a week after the exam (my AWA came in pretty quick) and they said that was sufficient enough to review my app but it would be "formally" completed once they received the scores from ETS. So I'd say just contact the DGS or ad-com chair and let them know what's up. Communication is the most important thing.

I don't know where you heard that it takes six weeks for them to get your scores though. My schools had them two weeks after I took the exam. Oh, the beauty of computer based testing!

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I didn't say it takes 6 weeks to get scores back. I said I'd be taking the test a month after their deadline so they wouldn't get the new scores until 6 weeks after their deadline. I know schools are okay waiting a week or so, but not 6. This is why I was just gonna send them my old scores in the meantime. I'd take the test sooner but, since this is my last choice school, I'd rather give myself more time to study for the other schools I really want to go to.

One concern I would have is that the Jan 15 school may make their decision before you are able to get your updated score to them! But like you said, it's probably worth a shot if you have no other 4th school in mind and you are okay with taking the calculated risk on your application fee. (Or, you might want to ask the Jan 15 school about this, but sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness for a late score than permission!)

Edited by TakeruK

Guest Gnome Chomsky

One concern I would have is that the Jan 15 school may make their decision before you are able to get your updated score to them! But like you said, it's probably worth a shot if you have no other 4th school in mind and you are okay with taking the calculated risk on your application fee. (Or, you might want to ask the Jan 15 school about this, but sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness for a late score than permission!)

If it was a week or two (or even three) I would ask them, but I think six weeks is asking too much. My thought process is, if haven't made a decision yet, maybe they're strongly considering me (since the rest of my application is very strong) but the GRE score makes them a little uneasy. The new score would ease their concerns. Of course, I'm willing to take the risk since this is my 4th choice of 4 schools.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

To all who helped, I decided against applying to this school, but thank you for your feedback. I figured it wasn't worth it since 1) their deadline is 6 weeks before my other 3 schools, so I'd have to rush an SOP, 2) it's in New York City (CUNY Grad Center), and being from Brooklyn I know how expensive that city is, 3) it's only a master's and offers no funding, and 4) add 2 and 3 together--it's not worth going into crazy debt to live in NYC for 2 years to get a master's when I can live in much cheaper cities (Seattle, WA; Waltham, MA; Syracuse, NY) for my other 3 options. Now, I can focus on getting an SOP done by mid-late February, taking the GRE by early Feb, and finalizing my application to all three schools by March 1.