Need Help Deciding (QUICK!)

Guest dettociao

Guest dettociao

Here's my situation:

~$7,500 from an MA program, with a great track record of getting students into top-10, top-20 PHD programs in my field. The school is in a city (this is a plus), and the department looks great.

~$18,000 from a PHD program, with a good track record of getting students tenure-track positions at 4-year schools (although none that are extremely well placed). The school is in a college-town (this is a negative) and the department looks great.

Money is an issue simply because I don't think $7500 is enough to live on... but what are everyone's thoughts?

• 11 months later...

Say what?

I think what he is trying to say is that if you are attending school somewhere with a high COL and getting more $$ it works out to be the same as getting less $$ and attending school somewhere with a low COL.

If the MA school is in Boston LA, NY, SF, and probably Chicago $7500 will not cut it. You'll have to pay more than that for rent alone. Some smaller cities like Philly or Atlanta you may be able to get by but I wouldn't do it personally.

I think if you go into a PhD program (especially w/o a Masters) you should go for it.

Say what?

It's pretty simple. You want to evaluate the cost of living in each place to see how far the money goes, rather than just look at the dollar amount.

If the $7500 is in a small, midwestern farm town where you can get a one bedroom for $400 a month, and the 18k is in LA or New York where the typical rent runs somewhere in the area of two grand, you actually come out ahead with the $7500.

Gradcafe and who_got_in both have forums to ask about various cities. You might want to inquire about how far your money will go there. A lot of current grad students frequent them, and can tell you not just how much it costs to live there, but where to look for good deals on rent, as well as any "hidden" costs (e.g. if food is more expensive, transportation issues, etcetera).