Specifying Faculty member in SOP

theyellowboots

Hi everyone,

I am applying for MEd/MA in School Counseling/Psychology for Fall '14.

I am only applying for coursework-based Masters program and I have already submitted my application for the 3 Canadian schools. However, I did not specify which faculty member I want to work with, since I thought coursework-based Masters program usually does not have a faculty member mentoring the student.

Before I start applying for the 5 to 6 US schools this coming January, I would like to seek your opinion. Is it necessary to name a faculty member I want to work with in my SOP? I understand this is mandatory for PhD applicants, but will it sound outrageous for coursework-based MA applicants? 

I'm not in psychology, but I do have something.

First, would you still want to be in the program if you couldn't work directly with the faculty member you are interest in? If no, then probably mention the faculty member.

If you mention the faculty you're interested in, and that person is either not interested in your research or doesn't feel ready to take on a new student, you might find yourself rejected simply because of that. I have seen people who have sworn they didn't have time or room for another grad student take one one anyway after they've gotten to know the person better. I've also seem people who turned out to despise the faculty member they wanted to work with for a variety of reasons.

At any rate, what it comes down to is that they will judge you based on what's in the SOP. The first rounds of reading is to narrow the field by looking for reasons to reject, not by looking for the best candidate to begin with. After that, then they look for the best candidate. Don't give them reasons to reject you despite your strength as a potential student, unless it is a reason you want to be rejected.

It's all about rhetoric.