Phd Stats: Low grade in analysis... doomed?

cicada2014

Hi, I am in a MS in Math program at a well-known university. My undergrad was in Electrical Engineering and wanted to brush up on my math background during the MS program in preparation from Phd programs in Statistics/Computer Science.

I enrolled in a graduate-level course called "Introduction to Mathematical Analysis", thinking it would be a good introduction to analysis for people with little background in mathematics. Unfortunately, I was way in over my head. There were some math PhD's taking the class, and the class was curved to a B. I actually did slightly below the class average (which I was proud of, since my math background essentially stopped at undergrad Calculus), and ended up with a B-.

I know good Stats programs will really look at your upper-level math classes. How much will the above detract from my application?

A B- is generally considered passing but below expectations.

Analysis is a core course that is considered to be very important. But if you feel that you came out with a goood understanding and put in your best effort then you shouldn't be worried.

Anyhow, it sounds like you should have taken the undergraduate analysis first...

A B- is generally considered passing but below expectations.

Analysis is a core course that is considered to be very important. But if you feel that you came out with a goood understanding and put in your best effort then you shouldn't be worried.

Anyhow, it sounds like you should have taken the undergraduate analysis first...

Exactly. Much of the coursework assumed knowledge of undergraduate analysis, which put me in a lot of trouble.

Oh well, can't change anything now I guess. At least I learned quite a bit, as we covered measure theory, Lebesgue integrals etc.

Edited by cicada2014