Dartmouth vs Princeton (mol bio)

bio2009

I worked in a lab at Dartmouth for awhile. It is a nice place, but there is nothing to do in Hanover and it is expensive for a small town. The grad school also likes to keep people around forever! I know a lot of people that took 7+ years to graduate! That being said all of the students are very happy, and I think this may explain why people took forever to graduate (most of them did not want to leave). Dartmouth also is not a research powerhouse. I do not think Princeton is either, but it may be a little better than Dartmouth. I know a few people at Princeton and they all seem happy with their decision. Otherwise I really know nothing about the school.

No offense to Dartmouth undergrad alumni and students, but I was not impressed with the undergrad academics at Dartmouth. (I was happy that I went to my LAC)! I can agree that Duke has a strong undergrad program, so I am not just hating on the 'elite' schools. If you are interested in teaching, you may want to consider this.

Well, according to the US news and world reports for grad programs in the biological sciences:

Dartmouth = #34

Princeton= #12

(source: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... bio/search)

Both up there. But I'm sure you know this :) I wouldn't give this too much weight, it changes every year, still, the numbers do look better for Princeton on this front. I would ask each school for stats on job placement after graduation. In terms of which has better PIs, it depends on what you're specifically interested in. I would look to see which school has more profs doing what you like, then maybe try to arrange a phone chat with one or two of them, do they seem like nice people? Would you want to work with them?

Good luck!