Need Help Deciding (QUICK!)

Guest dettociao

Guest dettociao

Here's my situation:

~$7,500 from an MA program, with a great track record of getting students into top-10, top-20 PHD programs in my field. The school is in a city (this is a plus), and the department looks great.

~$18,000 from a PHD program, with a good track record of getting students tenure-track positions at 4-year schools (although none that are extremely well placed). The school is in a college-town (this is a negative) and the department looks great.

Money is an issue simply because I don't think $7500 is enough to live on... but what are everyone's thoughts?

I also posted this in the Waiting-it-Out.

Guest waiting234

are these stipend amounts or amounts toward tuition? if they're stipends (and the schools are covering tuition) take the phd program...a phd program that gets people jobs should not be turned down (applying is too much of a crapshoot). if they're amounts toward tuition...still go with the phd program - you're paying less and will hopefully be able to get funding after the 1st year? my 2cents.

i think it really depends on you. what kind of job you want when you're done, how much you love cities/dislike college towns, whether you can live on limited monitary means, etc. just think seriously about your priorities. what is most important to you? good luck and congrats on getting in.

Guest kristevatron

I think it really comes down to how much personal sacrifice you are willing to make for your future.

If you are willing to make your home a box for two years (in the city mind, where 'home' is just a place to sleep--your life is in the city) in order to give yourself the very best opportunities, do it.

It also depends on how old you want to be. If you are ready to nail down your life in comfort, then go with the ph.d program. "Settle." It's safer, and you are guaranteed a job somewhere, without too much hardship or debt.

If you aren't ready to settle; if you want employment on your own terms; if you aren't ready to restrict your inspirations; then go with the masters.

(It also depends on your discipline--if you are in the sciences, post-degree position is much more important, because of grant money, which is highly contingent on your school of employment.)