Apply for priority deadline with low GRE score or wait to retake??! Help!

luciamts

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice. I am applying to for my masters degree in International Relations/Communications and just took my GRE. Came out with a 153V, 148Q and 4.5 writing. I am not too happy with these scores and I'm considering retaking the test, however in order to retake I have to forego submitting my applications within the priority deadline. I have a 3.56 GPA and two years of work experience in international education and I feel my letters of recommendation will be strong. Is it better to just submit my application as is or wait and aim to get a better score? So far I'm applying to the University of Denver (International and Intercultural Communications Program), Boston University (IRIC program) and University of Pennsylvania (Entrepreneurship at Wharton - a stretch for me, but in addition to working in international education I have experience owning and operating my own business).

Thoughts? Any help in making this decision is greatly appreciated!   

If you feel that you can significantly raise your scores between the priority deadline and the regular one, I would suggest retaking the exams. My rule of thumb is that you should apply by whenever you feel your application can be the strongest.

Good Luck!

Retake the test if you think that'd help and you have time. The priority deadline is not the only deadline, and it's likely you'd be pushed to the regular deadline anyway if your app isn't competitive.

Best of luck!

Edited by ratlab