Claiming state residency

schoolpsycher

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm currently applying to UMass-Boston for grad school and trying to figure out if I can claim residency for in-state tuition purposes. I am from Florida and lived here my whole life before moving to Massachusetts for college 6 years ago, and I've been there ever since (2 years post-college). On the application, one choice is: "I am at least 18 years of age and have continuously resided in Massachusetts for 12 consecutive months prior to the start of enrollment" which it seems like I fit, but I still have a Florida license, voters ID, etc. However, I have a lease in Boston and filed a Massachustts resident income tax form this year, so I'm unsure what to do. 

Go to the DMV.

Typically students aren't considered residents because they'll up and leave once they graduate - the idea is to give incentive to students who plan to stick around and funnel money, workforce training, etc.. into the community. 

Get a MA license and rescind your right to discount tickets at Disney World. Also, pay any state taxes (FL has none).

Yeah I knew college doesn't count, but since I've been in MA and working there for 2 years post-college, it seems like I fit the description they have? I also did pay Massachusetts Income Tax last year. It's tricky though because I'm applying to Florida grad schools as well and trying to claim residency there at the same time (which I can do since I'm still a dependent and my parents live in Florida). 

I just wanted to add, in case there are any international students reading this thread, that if you are on a F-1 or J-1 visa/status, then even if we pay in-state taxes and even if we have resided in the state for a long time, we can never claim in-state tuition! We are also not a resident for purposes of tuition but according to the DMV, we are a resident for the purposes of requiring an in-state driver license! We get the worst of both worlds :)