HGSE Admission through employment at Harvard

hokiestar

This question is directed toward current HGSE students: are there any HGSE students who were admitted after being employed by Harvard?

I am currently a university employee and have been able to take many classes as a non-degree student with their tution discount.  I am now looking at applying in the next year (for the 2015-16 school year or the year after) to HGSE for the Master's in Higher Education. Does anyone know if being an employee at Harvard and/or previously taking classes might be beneficial in the application process?

For what it's worth, I was previously interested in higher ed grad programs while I was an undergrad, so I have lots of extracurricular/student leadership experience and now employment experience at Harvard and one other university.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi hokiestar. I am currently in the higher ed program at HGSE, and I can tell you a little about how it works for Harvard employees.

In our cohort, all of our part time people are also employees at Harvard, and they can use TAP to pay for courses. There are about five of them in a cohort of 40. I don't know if it helps or hurts to be an employee, but it certainly is possible!

There are two things that I highly recommend if you are interested in the program. First, take some courses through TAP before you apply in order to get to know professors and the program. Second, talk to Judy, the Director of the program. A few Harvard employees interested in the program sat in on some of our courses and talked to current students, and they arranged this through Judy.

Best of luck!