Family Demography

inwhatway

While I wasn't the audience for the initial post, I would think that some obvious choices would be Penn State, Maryland, and Texas-Austin. There's also UC-Irvine, Bowling Green, and Nebraska-Lincoln. With Michael Hout's move to NYU, that might be a place to consider as well. Those are just a few, of course, but they're hopefully helpful.

Since your expertise is a wonderful addition to this forum (I've been cruising your posts for a while), I would like to pick your brain a bit further.  I've noticed prospective students on this forum rarely mention the BGSU Department of Sociology--do you know why this might be?

Also, I will share that I've applied to UT-Austin, BGSU, Cornell and Michigan.  I strongly considered UCLA and Penn State, but decided not to apply to those programs for personal reasons.  

I've searched quite a bit, but haven't found any hopeful family demographers on this board.  Just curious if there might be any out there...

Your two observations are not unrelated. Bowling Green is not a highly ranked department and most students on the forum focus on schools in the top 25 or so, with a couple fall backs or exceptions if the schools are well-known in a specialty area. If there is one thing that Bowling Green is strong in, it's family demography. So it's mentioned rarely because so few students have interests similar to your own so they simply see it as a lower-ranked department.

In choosing which school to attend, I would ask about recent placements. Like with the education track, there are a number of potential directions to take post-graduation. It is easier to get an R1 job from a more highly ranked department. There might be other departments that have a track record of policy-oriented jobs or research centers or liberal arts jobs. Deciding what you want to do after school, and whether or not people from the departments you're considering have done that, is a good way to make a decision on where to attend. 

Edited by faculty