Chance me? Grad Anxiety

lilacdream

Hello everyone :) happy grad season!

I am finishing up applications and I am freaking out because of weak GPA.

I have "achieved" a lot in my life, especially considering my background, I am worried that my GPA and stats don't stack up against people with 1st level degrees and more linear paths. I discovered anthropology late in my college career, but since then have been an active participant. I am applying to Msc taught programs in social anthro to strengthen my background before I go onto Phd. 

Applying to Gallatin in hopes to combine disciplines. 

NOTE- schools applying to do not require GRE

Stats

3.57 GPA with departmental honors in American Studies from top tier private university 

2 publications ( one university journal, one historical archive) 

1 Undergrad thesis (A-)

Presented research at University wide Symposium 

Interned at women's organization/ simultaneously conducted fieldwork there 

wrote/conducted/recorded/transcribed interview with prominent record producer for history center 

volunteered as a panel member for HS senior presentations

2 great LORs 

1 from thesis advisor

1 from department/ honors advisor who oversaw my ethnographic research!  

Misc factors

- launched career in the fashion industry (shows initiative) 

-worked on art house collection combining the celebration between North African and African American culture

- female/minority/first to attend college/ 'at risk youth' etc 

-worked as a paralegal assistant (along with other extensive unrelated work- I've never been without a job)

-various clubs- anthro club, japanese club 

- speak 3 languages

- independently traveled Europe (including Edinburgh and London) 

- currently write for an online music blog 

- active participant in poetry community 

Schools applying to thus far 

NYU (Gallatin) 

University of Edinburgh 

UCL

University of Cambridge 

I really appreciate and welcome any honest feedback, positive and negative. 

Thank you all for your help and good luck with your programs !!

You're applying to MA programs only, no PhD? If so I think there's no doubt they'll admit you, but funding will be a different question. Are you self-financed?

thank you for the feedback! 

Initially, I was planning on going straight for my Phd, but felt that I wouldn't be admitted because my degree was in a different field. It was interdisciplinary and I did do some fieldwork, but do you think this is sufficient to skip over my masters? 

You're applying to MA programs only, no PhD? If so I think there's no doubt they'll admit you, but funding will be a different question. Are you self-financed?

Also, I am not entirely self financed, but I have at least one outside source of funding that would yield about 9000 US dollars not including personal finances ;/ Although, ideally I'd like to be funded. 

From what I've heard (from friends who went to some as well as others), it is not very hard to get into a UK masters program if you are a non-UK resident because they tend to make more money from international students. It is apparently incredibly hard to get funding for a UK masters if you are not a UK resident. US masters programs also rarely come with any funding, and at many institutions, the masters is sometimes a cash cow to fund PhD students. That doesn't mean that these aren't exceptionally fine programs with amazing faculty - they absolutely are! And I know a PhD student at a very highly ranked anthro PhD program who got a masters at UCL first and very much recommends it. When I was weighing my options, I spoke with her about it and she said "Just be aware that you'll be one of a huge number of master's students at UCL and that your money will go to fund the department", but that she learned a lot from the experience and it probably helped her get into said top ranked US PhD program. From what I've heard, you should have no problem at all getting into any of these programs, but funding is very, very unlikely. This is all anecdotal though, so take this with a grain of salt!

From what I've heard (from friends who went to some as well as others), it is not very hard to get into a UK masters program if you are a non-UK resident because they tend to make more money from international students. It is apparently incredibly hard to get funding for a UK masters if you are not a UK resident. US masters programs also rarely come with any funding, and at many institutions, the masters is sometimes a cash cow to fund PhD students. That doesn't mean that these aren't exceptionally fine programs with amazing faculty - they absolutely are! And I know a PhD student at a very highly ranked anthro PhD program who got a masters at UCL first and very much recommends it. When I was weighing my options, I spoke with her about it and she said "Just be aware that you'll be one of a huge number of master's students at UCL and that your money will go to fund the department", but that she learned a lot from the experience and it probably helped her get into said top ranked US PhD program. From what I've heard, you should have no problem at all getting into any of these programs, but funding is very, very unlikely. This is all anecdotal though, so take this with a grain of salt!

Thank you for your feedback. I have heard similar things. I think I am going to apply really early and search for outside funding. I am really interested in PhD work, so perhaps I will stress this in my application to demonstrate interest (and hopefully incite scholarship consideration). It may be a long shot but I am going to try! I don't think my background in anthro is strong enough to go for a Phd just yet. 

You may want to consider waiting a year if you're looking for funding. Many of the scholarships and programs offering good funding for US students at UK schools had deadlines back in October or November. However, if you can fund it yourself, or you want to use US gov. loans, then that's also an option for schools in the UK that qualify.

If you do decide to wait until next year, check out the Marshall Scholarship. it would fully fund you to study anywhere in the UK. http://barnard.edu/dos/academic-advising/scholarships-fellowships

That link includes a good list of scholarships for graduate study.

You may want to consider waiting a year if you're looking for funding. Many of the scholarships and programs offering good funding for US students at UK schools had deadlines back in October or November. However, if you can fund it yourself, or you want to use US gov. loans, then that's also an option for schools in the UK that qualify.

Thank you both for the sound advice (and happy new year!!) 

After speaking with my honors thesis advisor, she advised me that it is unwise to apply to unfunded masters programs (which I kind of figured) and says that I am underestimating my resume. What do you guys think? I don' t think it is unheard of to enter into phd programs and switch disciplines.

In that case, do you think my stats are competitive? I appreciate the feedback. I think I am going to apply to the Mphil/Phd track instead (either way). 

American Studies has a lot in common with anthropology, so it's not as big of a switch as going from physics to anthropology! This is even more the case because you have experience doing ethnographic fieldwork. I'm unsure of why you would discount the opinion of your advisor and instead ask a bunch of people on the internet for their opinion...

American Studies has a lot in common with anthropology, so it's not as big of a switch as going from physics to anthropology! This is even more the case because you have experience doing ethnographic fieldwork. I'm unsure of why you would discount the opinion of your advisor and instead ask a bunch of people on the internet for their opinion...

Hi! Thanks, I agree, I have a stronger background than previously thought. However, my question was positied largely because I am looking to go to school abroad, and their requirements are a bit different for a masters program.

By the way, my thesis advisor gave me the advice AFTER I had already posted this. haha...not a total moron...

But I do also respect the opinions of people who have gone through the application as well, and look to them more for support.

Probably should have taken the GRE. With your GPA, you'd get into a decent program. Not top, but well-respected.

Thanks, I may postpone grad school for another year and take the GRE so I still have a chance. Thanks ;)

The downside of applying to UK/EU schools is the funding situation... As long as you're prepared to self-fund, it's probably less of a problem.

Right, I have some outside funding, so I will probably still go forward with this. You guys have been helpful, Thank you !!!

• 4 weeks later...

You should be fine with getting into Gallatin, but that will depend on your SOP which is most important. However, you should consider matriculating into a program which provides funding unless this is exactly what you want to do.

I got into Gallatin with worse stats (GPA, publications) when I was applying to MA programs.  Their funding was terrible, though, so I went elsewhere.

Draper, also at NYU, has a bit more funding (and IMHO smarter students) and a great placement record.  Maybe think about applying there too if you still can/want to do an interdisciplinary MA.