Cancer Biology Programs

BostonBio153

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any opinions on what the best programs are for cancer biology? I'm trying to decide which schools to interview at. Specifically, I'm debating between the Princeton MolBio program, UPENN CAMB, and Yale BBS. If possible, I'd like to only interview at one of them, but I'm not sure which one to choose. I know that UPENN CAMB has a program in Cancer Biology, but I'm not sure how much Princeton MolBio focuses on translational cancer research.

Any opinions?

I can't speak from personal experience, but a good friend of mine is currently enrolled in the Cancer Biology program in the Penn CAMB department, and he ultimately turned down Princeton for Penn. I can put you in touch with him if you'd like.

That'd be great! I'd love to talk with someone in the program... Thanks!

That'd be great! I'd love to talk with someone in the program... Thanks!

You're very welcome. I'll PM you his email address as soon as I hear back from him, but I'd be very surprised if he weren't enthusiastic to speak with you. 

I didn't apply to Princeton, but when I interviewed at Yale BBS, I got the impression that their research focus was very cell bio heavy (we attended a poster session for m2p2, mcgd and immuno programs). I'm not really sure what you mean by translational, because that's a pretty broad definition, are you thinking something along the lines of disease-focused research? Model organisms? Clinical trials? Targeted therapy? Regardless, my advice to those interested in cancer has always been to not narrow your interests down to a disease, but to a biological phenomenon. In that aspect, many programs are excellent and have a niche area they're very good at.

For cancer bio, I think a big factor is choosing somewhere with a dedicated cancer center - that helps with funding and collaborations. Sloan-Kettering and Harvard are both pretty great examples of this and have awesome programs.

Also, keep in mind that you don't absolutely have to join a cancer bio program to work on cancer. A lot of schools have recently started cancer bio programs, so it's more important for the research legacy to have been established than the program being defined as cancer biology.