MPH Input!

brianman

Hello everyone! I am looking for some input from those experienced with the coursework for Masters in Public Health and the application process. I am currently a senior undergrad student (graduating in May), with a 3.5 overall gpa, that majors in Psychology and Biology (I have focused a lot on cognitive sciences). Aside from my major, I am a part of a research lab as a lab assistant, and I have taken up extra-curriculars that have given me the opportunities to hone my leadership skills, along with public speaking, planning and advocacy. Being that my college does not offer any courses in public health, I have not taken any coursework that directly relates to the field.

I very much love the process of conducting research, but I wanted a career that would allow me to advocate and apply research rather than the process of just cranking out content that may or may not be useful in the long run. In this matter, I think that a Masters in Public Health would be good for me.

I am considering applying to the Hunter MPH program for Fall 2014. I guess that my question would be, is the Hunter MPH program credible, and am I crazy for trying to pursue this path?! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think you are crazy for applying to or considering MPH programs with little to no public health experience. For me, I didn't really know what public health was until I took two upper level neuroscience (this was my major, which at the time, was a part of both psychology and biology departments) courses that exposed me to endocrine disruptors, endocrinology and environmental health sciences. I did an internship that actually focused on public health my sophomore year, specifically epidemiology, but I still didn't even know what public health was at that time until my senior year because I was focused on medical school. I also took a health disparities course since I was an Afroamerican and African studies minor, which was through the African studies and nursing departments so technically this course did not directly relate to public health but most of the content was very much relatable. I think as long as you can clearly articulate your experiences now as a research assistant and how an MPH will help you reach your career goals is the most important thing. Many people don't really have public health experience and judging by the increase in applications every year, the field is becoming more popular and more well known. As far as the credibility of the Hunter MPH program, you need to look into specific departments within public health to solidify your career goals. If it is an accredited institution and is highly regarded in the field or research that you want to conduct, then I would apply. Many programs in the sociomedical sciences, health policy, health management, and health behavior concentrations focus more on public health practice rather than theory, but this depends on the school that you are applying to and how flexible the curriculum is. I hope this helps. Good luck

Edited by NeurosciMRI

I don't see why not. I didn't take any public health courses during my undergrad, and my BS is completely unrelated to public health (toxicology). I also didn't have much public health experience. To be honest, public health is such a broad field that you can put a public health "spin" onto anything. The research I did was part of a nationwide study.....nationwide --> potentially affects everyone in country --> public health!!

I wouldn't worry too much about the credibility of a school, so long as the program is accredited. Again, because public health is such a broad field, it's more important to consider the individual programs than the school's reputation: Do you want to get into a specialty track (epidemiology, biostatistics, policy, etc.)? Or do you just want a general MPH? Do you want a large program so you can interact with more students? Or do you prefer a smaller one so you can get more one-on-one interaction with your professors? Is an MPH your terminal degree? Or do you want to pursue a doctorate-level degree? If it's the latter, you don't want to get into too much debt. 

I personally think Hunter is an excellent choice. I would have applied there but I'm not a NY resident. I find out-of-state tuition to be unfair.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your responses! They were definitely encouraging!

Just one more question. I do notice that many (nearly everyone!) here is on the epidemiology/biostats track in their Masters programs. Obviously, math courses are encouraged, but is a strong undergrad math curriculum required? I am asking because I have only taken one math course in undergrad (Statistics). I have very significant experience in analysis and research (two independent projects, and an internship in a lab) which are skills that could be considered to be very integral parts of the epidemiology practice. 

Would it be too much of a longshot to apply to an epidemiology program with my background? 

I only took two math classes during my undergrad, one calculus class and one biostats class. I took them because they were required for my major. I think a handful of biostats program would prefer their applicants to have some math background. I don't know about epi though. None of the programs I applied to mentioned a preference for math.

To be safe, you should read the requirements listed on each program's website. Or maybe email the admission offices directly if you have any specific questions.

Thank you for your responses! They were definitely encouraging!

Just one more question. I do notice that many (nearly everyone!) here is on the epidemiology/biostats track in their Masters programs. Obviously, math courses are encouraged, but is a strong undergrad math curriculum required? I am asking because I have only taken one math course in undergrad (Statistics). I have very significant experience in analysis and research (two independent projects, and an internship in a lab) which are skills that could be considered to be very integral parts of the epidemiology practice. 

Would it be too much of a longshot to apply to an epidemiology program with my background? 

I had one stats class with a good grade, a functions (pre-calc) class with a so-so grade, and a calc class from which I withdrew and I was accepted to the epi program at my top choice. However, I do use a lot of stats in my current job and have research experience. Don't let your lack of actual math classes stop you from applying anywhere, especially since you do have that research background, but as the above post says, check program requirements. It wouldn't hurt you to take a calc class if you still have time. And, if biostats is the route you want to go, you're DEFINITELY going to need more math.