Uh Oh - Johns Hopkins

Cottagecheeseman

Hey Guys, I was just going over something with Johns Hopkins, and on the graduate philosophy website they say this:

"Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts must be uploaded through the online application. Applications will be ready for review with unofficial transcripts, but official transcripts will be required if an offer of admission is made"

However, on the Johns Hopkins Graduate School Webpage it says: "In addition to uploading unofficial transcripts, all applicants are also required to submit official transcripts of all college and university study in sealed envelopes, or via third party electronic distributers such as Scrip-Safe, WES, or Interfolio. Official transcripts must be received by the departmental admissions deadline."

Like, I dunno if I can get all my transcripts in in time now, because I was listening to what the philosophy department says and wasn't sending in officials unless I was admitted. Of course, I just sent the philosophy department an email, but I don't know what to do now, I already submitted the application and I don't want to be late.

So, freaking out a bit now...

Edited by zizeksucks

Don't worry about it. Follow the department's requirements. If they're made aware they're in conflict with university guidelines, they'll suck it up. If you're really worried, you can send the DGS an email.

Agreed with max. I imagine that the JH Philosophy department might just realize that they don't need the official transcripts, and that you can fulfill these requirements after you are admitted. 

Don't freak out! The one risk was that your file, along with the files of most applicants, would be marked incomplete in the grad admissions office before being passed to the philosophy department. The phil department wants to have some applicants, so now that they know about the issue they'll make sure that doesn't happen.  

Don't worry about it, OP. I was in the same situation last year with two different programs. Neither program minded the fact that my official transcripts were missing; in fact, I ended up getting accepted to one of them and the other place couldn't have been kinder in their response to my worried emails. I had uploaded my transcripts in my online application so both places had my transcript in hand, just not the official one sent from my university. And the place that accepted me asked for yet another official transcript after I accepted their offer, so there's probably a lot of time for you to get the official document in.

Don't worry about it, OP. I was in the same situation last year with two different programs. Neither program minded the fact that my official transcripts were missing; in fact, I ended up getting accepted to one of them and the other place couldn't have been kinder in their response to my worried emails. I had uploaded my transcripts in my online application so both places had my transcript in hand, just not the official one sent from my university. And the place that accepted me asked for yet another official transcript after I accepted their offer, so there's probably a lot of time for you to get the official document in.

Thanks. Also,  I like that you actually got accepted. I hope that happens to me!

Hey zizeksucks, I ran into a similar problem. A couple schools I applied/am applying to require official transcripts (one of them in addition to the unofficial uploads in the application) that I have not/will not be able to provide by the deadline. As long as you make this known to the DGS, as maxhngs recommended, you should be fine. Still, it's, of course, optimal that all materials get there in time. I was also freaking out when I realized this. (I f***ing hate this process!) So, I e-mailed my undergrad advisor, with whom I have a very good relationship. He told me that the school he went to didn't receive all of his materials until March, at which point it decided to admit him, with funding, anyway. Of course, you should try not to be that late with the transcripts ...

ETS is also a pain.

So, I sent an email to the graduate admissions philosophy person, and it sent back and email referencing being out of the office in October 2013.

Umm... I don't know if this means the person hasn't been in the office since then, or just doesn't realize this automatic reply is on...

Just incase anyone else is applying there and wants to know what happened:

"Yes, the Department of Philosophy doesn't require the official transcript from the applicants until they receive an offer of admission. The Graduate Admissions website states the general rule for applications, but each department can change this requirement to fit their needs. So, there is no need for you to mail your official transcript until you are asked to do so."

• 2 weeks later...

I just logged in and noticed that my application was noted as incomplete, and I realized I was supposed to have sent official transcripts. Yikes! (This is for history). I just had them sent. Hopefully this won't affect my application. None of the other schools requested official transcripts, so I must have just overlooked this one.

my application reads incomplete too (phil. app)

I really hope that's true, I think I have a chance there, and I don't want my application to go to waste!

Same situation with me, my app says incomplete but its been submitted now and I don't think it will matter, what you think about living in Baltimore?