How important is a fellowship?

doppler

Here is a dilemma I'm facing, so I thought I'd share and seek some help. I have to decide between 3 schools, the aid situation is not very clear yet in schools B and C (will have the complete picture by next week). But please post assuming that I'll get the aid (If I don't, I won't go there anyway).

School A: I have been selected for a fellowship for the first year. School A is ranked around #35 in my field (electrical). In the fellowship letter, they mentioned that this fellowship (the one I got) is the most prestigious fellowship for engineering students, and 1% of the incoming students get it. this fellowship will not be renewed. So from the second year onwards, I'll have to get a TA or RA. There is one very big-shot professor in this school, who - I believe- is willing to be my research adviser. Oh, BTW, he replies to my e-mails quite enthusiastically, and I think I will like working with him. Other than that, as a whole, the research group I seek to join is of a bit lower standard than those in schools B and C.

School B: Large state school, ranked around 25. Good research group on the whole, though there's no one big name. (Possible TA)

School C: Ivy league, ranked around 25. Good research group on the whole, though there's no one big name. The potential research group in involved in a project in which some very big schools are part of. (Possible TA)

My gut feeling is School C > (School A = School B).

I'd like some opinion on whether the fellowship in school A would offset the potential advantages of an Ivy league. I have heard that the fellowship will adorn (if that's the right word) my resume for the rest of my life. Is it that important?

Thanks for any comments.

For schools B and C, are you unsure whether you will be funded at all, or are you sure you will be funded, but unsure whether it will involve a TAships?

If you will be funded for all three, I would take money out of the equation and go wherever you want (School C, it seems like). But I would not turn down funding at School A to pay full price for a marginally higher ranked program, even if it is an Ivy.

For schools B and C, are you unsure whether you will be funded at all, or are you sure you will be funded, but unsure whether it will involve a TAships?

If I don't get full funding, I don't go. That's why I requested comments *assuming* that I am funded. If I do get funded, it will be a TA. I applied for PhD by the way.

Now I know, I should have posted this next week or so, when I have the complete picture, but I thought it might be too late by then to seek opinions. Thanks.

Well, in that case, if you just want to consider some scenarios assuming you are funded at all three places, I would say, no, a fellowship is not worth it. It's nice to have a first year to adjust before you start teaching, but it's not worth it unless you feel absolutely the same level of excitement about all three programs. Go where there is funding, but don't pick a school with a fellowship over a school you would rather be at.