Statement of purpose

Okay, I am having trouble in writing my SOP, prompt is describe your reason for pursuing graduate study. I got onto the slp track because I found it interesting. I have always been interested in the health related fields. My father was diagnosed with brain cancer when I was 5 which motivated my interest. However I have been reading advice NOT to include 'sob stories'. My question being should I include this info and how can I link it to the SLP field if so.. Any help is appreciated

What specific health-related fields are you applying to? 'Sob stories' are not okay, but if you are able to incorporate that into the reason why you wish to pursue graduate studies in something very closely related to brain cancer (neurological diseases, brain anatomy-based fields, cancer, etc. not a science/health major here so I don't really know what fields but you get the point), then yes you should add this onto your SOP. However, you shouldn't say something like "My father had brain cancer and so that's why I want to be a doctor." You need to be specific why your father having brain cancer triggered your motivation to pursue graduate studies. You need to be specific about why you chose your field and what your father's diagnosis had to do with it. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by cy213

Sorry I didn't clarify, I'm applying to a speech language pathology masters program. I am receiving my BA in May and I love the field. My father's bout with cancer motivated me to pursue a health related career but I am unsure how I can relate that to the speech pathology field.

You could include it in an intro or first paragraph. Something like, "I knew I wanted to be a Health Professional when I was 5. My father was diagnosed with brain cancer, and I..." Then go on in your discussion of studying health at your university and the development into Speech and Hearing Sciences.

Instead of starting the SOP with mentioning the brain cancer, I think it might flow better if you tossed it in there as a supporting factor (later in the statement). One constant piece of advice I received RE: SOP was to not start the SOP with something along the lines of you wanting to pursue a profession in healthcare from a young age....not only does it sound unrealistic (would a 5 year old really be thinking about a future profession?...), but it sounds recycled.

I hope this doesn't come off too harsh-- and best of luck, whatever your direction in the SOP =)

L.

Check out essayforum.com.  You can read actual SOPs, critique them, and have your SOP critiqued on the site.

If I had only known about this BEFORE my applications were due! This is a nice little site.  B)

Edited by ImpulsiveNixie