Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

We in the Northeast are in the process of getting dumped on (about 6-10 inches of snow) AGAIN. Perhaps this is why we have yet another slow day... University closings, etc. 

Wait, really? My local forecast only has us getting rain tomorrow. How far north are you?

It seems that Virginia, Wisconsin, and Rochester have not sent out waitlist yet. But it might be reasonable to expect the waitlists are out soon, especially Virginia.

I spoke to the grad admissions director late last week and he said the wait list would go out by the end of this week.

Anyone else not yet heard anything (no rejection, wait list, or offer) from Arizona?

I still haven't heard anything. I'm fairly confident they only have rejections to send out at this point, though, so just waiting on that...

I still haven't heard anything. I'm fairly confident they only have rejections to send out at this point, though, so just waiting on that...

Same here. The more times goes by, though, and the more rejections posted on the results page, the more I find justification for my irrational glimmer of hope! Ah well. 

Oh, yes. I really can't complain at this point.

Oh my god...I just checked my spam folder and found an email from Arizona from February 10th!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm near the top of the wait list, apparently. I'm floored. I had been assuming rejection for over a week. Wow. Good thing I checked my spam folder!!!!

Oh my god...I just checked my spam folder and found an email from Arizona from February 10th!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm near the top of the wait list, apparently. I'm floored. I had been assuming rejection for over a week. Wow. Good thing I checked my spam folder!!!!

Always check your spam folder! That's where I found my Wisconsin-Madison acceptance email.

Congrats on the wait list! :)

If I can say anything positive about the stress caused by all of this waiting around for admissions results, it's that I'm working out more in order to control some amount of it (better health being the positive externality of stress management).

If you're feeling the weight of the wait bearing down, I recommend lifting weights. I've found that it helps.

One of my undergrad professors went through their MA program and he reports that their students do very well at getting into PhD programs. If I get an offer someplace else with some money attached, though, I will surely take it! Still feels nice to have a little bit of affirmation, though.

dgswaim, I'm a little late to the party (just joined the Grad Cafe, actually), but I was also offered admission to the MA at Loyola University Chicago after applying to the PhD like you were. If possible, could you please shed some light on what your professor said about MA students at Loyola doing well at getting into PhD programs? Any information would be appreciated, as I'm preparing to decide whether I should go through with Loyola's MA (and take out loans) if I don't get into any other schools. Thanks!

Since I'm new to the Grad Cafe, I just wanted to give my congratulations to everyone who's gotten good news. To those who haven't - I know the wait is agonizing, but it's still early. Here's hoping things turn out well. 

dgswaim, I'm a little late to the party (just joined the Grad Cafe, actually), but I was also offered admission to the MA at Loyola University Chicago after applying to the PhD like you were. If possible, could you please shed some light on what your professor said about MA students at Loyola doing well at getting into PhD programs? Any information would be appreciated, as I'm preparing to decide whether I should go through with Loyola's MA (and take out loans) if I don't get into any other schools. Thanks!

Since I'm new to the Grad Cafe, I just wanted to give my congratulations to everyone who's gotten good news. To those who haven't - I know the wait is agonizing, but it's still early. Here's hoping things turn out well. 

Well, the professor that I mentioned (but will not name) did a Master's at Loyola and went on to get his PhD from Notre Dame. He also mentioned that a few MA students with whom he was acquainted went on to receive PhDs from Loyola. Another went to Syracuse, so on and etc. He reports that few had any problems sling-shotting into decent PhD programs.