Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Virginia Tech should've been out by now, the last few years they have. They are pretty much my top choice now, if they fund me, because after getting so many rejections/assumed rejections an MA seems like a good choice for me. I can barely contain myself at work just waiting for an email or phonecall from someone! PLEASE ADMISSIONS GOD HAVE MERCY ON ME!

I am feeling the same way with Virginia Tech. Think itll be today or tomorrow?

I am also wondering when UW-Milwaukee is going to post decisions...I thought they would have been out by now for some reason

Virginia Tech should've been out by now, the last few years they have. They are pretty much my top choice now, if they fund me, because after getting so many rejections/assumed rejections an MA seems like a good choice for me. I can barely contain myself at work just waiting for an email or phonecall from someone! PLEASE ADMISSIONS GOD HAVE MERCY ON ME!

Hopefully things turn out well for you, zizeksucks. Being at work the past couple of weeks has been downright brutal. It's so easy to check email/GradCafe constantly. There's no escape besides some good news. I can't help but hear the backup singers in "Gimme Shelter" changing their tune:

Joy, pain, it's just a click away

It's just a click away

Joy, pain, it's just a click away

It's just a click away

Don't give up on UVA!

If Tech gave me full funding I would considering going there over UVA, if only because it is starting to seem more and more that UVA is the only phd program that seemed favorable to my application, so another year studying philosophy would put me in a better stance for applying again. But I still would definitely consider UVA!

I am also wondering when UW-Milwaukee is going to post decisions...I thought they would have been out by now for some reason

I'm really hoping by tomorrow. If not it has to be next week.

UWM offers won't be out for a few weeks (I can't say why because I don't know, I've just been told that).

Hopefully some of you who have yet to receive good (enough) news applied here. UWM is a fantastic place to study and we're placing very, very well this year.

If Tech gave me full funding I would considering going there over UVA, if only because it is starting to seem more and more that UVA is the only phd program that seemed favorable to my application, so another year studying philosophy would put me in a better stance for applying again. But I still would definitely consider UVA!

Just make sure you thoroughly investigate Tech's placement record. Does Tech consistently place their graduates in programs that are at least as good or better (whatever that means for you) than UVA?

Just make sure you thoroughly investigate Tech's placement record. Does Tech consistently place their graduates in programs that are at least as good or better (whatever that means for you) than UVA?

Of course. They seem to have a mixed record with placement, sometimes much better sometimes comparable, sometimes not as good. They have in the past however placed several students in my top choice, USC, so i would be very interested in trying for USC again, especially if I spend some time getting my quantitative GRE score up.

I understand the feeling.  At the beginning of this process, I had a major internal battle with myself about whether I would take Tufts (if offered) over somewhere like UVA.  I never really decided.

Of course. They seem to have a mixed record with placement, sometimes much better sometimes comparable, sometimes not as good. They have in the past however placed several students in my top choice, USC, so i would be very interested in trying for USC again, especially if I spend some time getting my quantitative GRE score up.

It's good that VA-Tech has placed into USC.  That means that the people at USC are familiar with letter writers at VA-Tech.  I would be cautious only because USC has become a really elite program very quickly.  I have to imagine that admissions is going to be a lot more competitive there in the years to come.

I understand the feeling.  At the beginning of this process, I had a major internal battle with myself about whether I would take Tufts (if offered) over somewhere like UVA.  I never really decided.

It's good that VA-Tech has placed into USC.  That means that the people at USC are familiar with letter writers at VA-Tech.  I would be cautious only because USC has become a really elite program very quickly.  I have to imagine that admissions is going to be a lot more competitive there in the years to come.

Yeah, the last phd program I have that as far as I can tell has released nothing yet is UMass, and I would probably go there over anywhere else because of placement and fit reasons, as long as I was funded. Thanks for the advice, if I get into UVA and Tech it'll be a hard decision for sure.

If you're okay with going through the re-application process, Tufts places most of their MA students into top-15 schools. Personally, I didn't apply to MAs partially because I didn't want to go through this again, but if you do want to go through it, you will have a great chance at a top 15.

If you're okay with going through the re-application process, Tufts places most of their MA students into top-15 schools. Personally, I didn't apply to MAs partially because I didn't want to go through this again, but if you do want to go through it, you will have a great chance at a top 15.

UNC-CH is ranked about 10

because the guy you're saying could go to Tufts to get into a top 15 school is already accepted there.

Yeah...

Again, he said "At the beginning of this process, I had a major internal battle with myself about whether I would take Tufts (if offered) over somewhere like UVA.  I never really decided."

I was pointing out some considerations that someone in the frame of mind he was putting himself in might want to think about....

Yeah...

Again, he said "At the beginning of this process, I had a major internal battle with myself about whether I would take Tufts (if offered) over somewhere like UVA.  I never really decided."

I was pointing out some considerations that someone in the frame of mind he was putting himself in might want to think about....

Well it reads like you're addressing that to him to me at least. But then your posts normally are hard to follow, so I'm not surprised.

Well it reads like you're addressing that to him to me at least. But then your posts normally are hard to follow, so I'm not surprised.

It was to a general "you" or I guess to the "past-him" that was thinking the issue through.

Thanks for another ad hominem btw. It had been 15 minutes since the last one on these boards and I needed to make sure nothing changed.

Edited by TheVineyard

It was to a general "you."

Thanks for another ad hominem btw. It had been 15 minutes since the last one on these boards and I needed to make sure nothing changed.

Well, considering that Ad Hominem attacks are argumentative fallacies, and I didn't present an argument, nor attempt to refute one from you, and was making a general statement on the quality of your posts, I don't think my comments count as Ad Hominem. But let's leave this bickering, and leave this thread to discussion of acceptances.

Yeah, the last phd program I have that as far as I can tell has released nothing yet is UMass, and I would probably go there over anywhere else because of placement and fit reasons, as long as I was funded. Thanks for the advice, if I get into UVA and Tech it'll be a hard decision for sure.

I don't think UF has sent anything yet, either. Though I might be wrong.

Well, considering that Ad Hominem attacks are argumentative fallacies, and I didn't present an argument, nor attempt to refute one from you, and was making a general statement on the quality of your posts, I don't think my comments count as Ad Hominem. But let's leave this bickering, and leave this thread to discussion of acceptances.

I think there was an implied argument, but it doesn't matter. A much better name for it would have been an unprovoked personal attack.