Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I'm sorry to hear things are so tricky with your situation! I hope things work out for both of you.  ^_^

Sorry to hear you haven't heard from them yet. I wouldn't read too much into that, though. When I saw (and panicked) that my transcripts hadn't arrived yet I didn't get much communication and it took them a while to update my records as well. I suspect they were just very busy.

Also, to anyone else who got an offer from UC R: did you get an email from the philosophy department or just the graduate school? So far I've only received an email from the graduate school.  

Same here: email from the graduate school, not the department. I'm sure we'll hear from them soon, no doubt they're quite busy. Congratulations!

Just received the offer from Riverside, with the Dean's Distinguished Fellowship! Guaranteed 5 years support. What a great start to the weekend. 

Congrats! I grew up in Riverside CA. Traffic and smog...

I am so fucking pissed. I got a packet in the mail today from Loyola and everyone thought it was an acceptance. Turns out they had a "glitch in their system" and sent me an information packet.

God that suuuucks so much. I freaked out when I had an email from a place the other day, but it was just someone asking for another copy of my transcript because apparently it was 'too small to read' which is just the way my transcript is printed.

God that suuuucks so much. I freaked out when I had an email from a place the other day, but it was just someone asking for another copy of my transcript because apparently it was 'too small to read' which is just the way my transcript is printed.

Yeah, I also just got an email from GSU asking me for another copy of my transcripts because they took too long to download it and it expired. Today's been a hell of a day. Thank god it's drinking day.

Same here: email from the graduate school, not the department. I'm sure we'll hear from them soon, no doubt they're quite busy. Congratulations!

Thanks and congrats to you too! That sounds like a really sweet financial aid package!

Yeah, I also just got an email from GSU asking me for another copy of my transcripts because they took too long to download it and it expired. Today's been a hell of a day. Thank god it's drinking day.

I emailed Loyola last week to check on transcripts I sent a month ago, and they haven't received them. =(

And what are you talking about? Isn't every day drinking day? 

Dgswain, that's crazy! My writing sample would have been on the same thing, but I hadn't gotten to write on it since my early undergrad days so I turned in a writing sample not in my AOI (my undergrad instititution had no one in phil of religion, so no opportunities for guided research). Who did you direct your ND app towards studying under?

Just received the offer from Riverside, with the Dean's Distinguished Fellowship! Guaranteed 5 years support. What a great start to the weekend. 

Well, I'll just have to hope for a wait-list spot at whichever of Duke or UCR that you don't pick. Based on your stats, extras, and some of your interests, I find it likely that we would have been directly competing for spots.

Also, to anyone else who got an offer from UC R: did you get an email from the philosophy department or just the graduate school? So far I've only received an email from the graduate school.  

I was the other UCR offer. The email was from the grad school, not the department, but I've been in touch with the department (like you, about missing transcripts). I confirmed that these offers are legit, and was told that the reason the department hasn't sent anything yet is they are still putting together their plans for hosting prospective students, and should contact us directly next week.

So uh...

I got my ass handed to me this week. I heard nothing positive from any of like...8 schools in a row....this comes after I was accepted to my first two. I was honestly expecting to get accepted/waitlisted to at least one, more like 2-3 of this week's schools. Quite demoralizing.

Here is my emotional flow over the last several days:

Acceptance Day: "I'm a fucking badass! Nothing can stop me! Psh, I'm gonna get accepted to like 10 schools!"

Day 3 of only implied rejections: "MUST SPAM REFRESH, SURELY THESE COUPLE SCHOOLS WILL EMAIL ME SOON. TURN PHONE VOLUME ON HIGH OMG OMG OMG. INFO INCOMING SOON SO STRESSFUL!!!"

Day 8 of only implied rejections: "Eh looks like another school posted acceptances. IDC. I'm sure I didn't get in. Move along, nothing to see, I wonder what school won't send me anything tomorrow..."

Edited by TheVineyard

OKAY, I have some catching up to do.  Has anyone heard anything more about the Michigan acceptance?  That acceptance looks legitimate, based on the detailed comment.  But I'm very surprised at the early timing.  It's just not in line with their recent years of admissions.  But maybe things have changed!  

So if anyone's heard anything about the Michigan acceptance, please post it!!!

Dgswain, that's crazy! My writing sample would have been on the same thing, but I hadn't gotten to write on it since my early undergrad days so I turned in a writing sample not in my AOI (my undergrad instititution had no one in phil of religion, so no opportunities for guided research). Who did you direct your ND app towards studying under?

I actually didn't mention anyone specifically in my application. I opted, rather, to appeal to ND's overall fit with respect to my research interests as a Christian philosopher looking to do philosophy from within a Christian framework. Needless to say, there are countless people with whom I would be thrilled to study under at ND on the off chance that I'm admitted. I'd love to sit and chat with Gary Gutting... even though he doesn't really work in my area.

I was the other UCR offer. The email was from the grad school, not the department, but I've been in touch with the department (like you, about missing transcripts). I confirmed that these offers are legit, and was told that the reason the department hasn't sent anything yet is they are still putting together their plans for hosting prospective students, and should contact us directly next week.

Awesome, thanks for letting us know. I was afraid to email the department because I didn't want to pester them about info they were probably going to send anyway but part of me wondered if an email from them somehow gone astray in my case and everyone else had gotten it, so it still worried me.

Awesome, thanks for letting us know. I was afraid to email the department because I didn't want to pester them about info they were probably going to send anyway but part of me wondered if an email from them somehow gone astray in my case and everyone else had gotten it, so it still worried me.

As a (grad) student, erring on the side of not pestering is a good thing generally, but I think you're ok in this situation. Right now, they're recruiting us--they chose our applications, and are interested in hearing from us! And if that's not true, then, well, I blame Eric Schwitzgebel for writing it on his blog. :)

That said, it's no big deal either way. I'm just thrilled to be in, and am really looking forward to visiting.

OKAY, I have some catching up to do.  Has anyone heard anything more about the Michigan acceptance?  That acceptance looks legitimate, based on the detailed comment.  But I'm very surprised at the early timing.  It's just not in line with their recent years of admissions.  But maybe things have changed!  

So if anyone's heard anything about the Michigan acceptance, please post it!!!

I'm curious about this too. It is incredibly early. Of course UNC was too, but we saw more than one posting.