Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Thanks, DHume. Deal. :)  It is reasonable to hang onto the Yale wait list for a while, though it is not very likely to get off a highly-ranked program like Yale. But it is interesting to see if one could get off it.  :rolleyes:  

Yale does usually take a few from their wait list, actually.

Sorry, folks. I had to take the day off. I'm updating the blog now.

• I'm holding off on declaring the Harvard posts legitimate, though I'm pretty certain that the wait-list is legitimate. It's very odd that the first legitimate Harvard post will likely be a wait-list notification! The timing is right for Harvard, so I'm expecting some confirmation within days.

• The Madison wait-lists are legitimate. (I got one, actually.)

• The CUNY could be legitimate, but I'm holding off on that one, too. One post. Nothing to confirm it on the forums.

Congrats!!! That's great to hear!

So, unless someone is playing an evil prank on me, I believe Jeffrey McDonough just sent me an email admitting me to Harvard!

... what?!?!

I am absolutely STUNNED

and, of course, thrilled!

EDIT: I hope no one hacked into McDonough's email account and sent me a fraudulent email. That is how shocking news of admission is to me. But I'm sooo excited!!! :)

OH MY GOD I WOULD DIE. Congratulations!!!! That's incredible! :D  Enjoy it

I was just offered admission by the University of Tennessee!  It was my only application, so I will (assuming there is funding involved) be accepting.   I haven't received a departmental e-mail yet, but found the "decision letter" on the application page.

This is a huge weight off of my shoulders.  Admission cycles with one application are soooo much more stressful!

So, unless someone is playing an evil prank on me, I believe Jeffrey McDonough just sent me an email admitting me to Harvard!

... what?!?!

I am absolutely STUNNED

EDIT: I hope no one hacked into McDonough's email account and sent me a fraudulent email. That is how shocking news of admission is to me. But I'm sooo excited!!! :)

Do you want my apartment? No, in seriousness, if you're not familiar with this area, I'd be glad to show you around. You should live within a short walking distance of the philosophy department. I'm sure you know this, but Harvard's philosophy department gets its own building-- huge, nice (on the outside), and right next to the best of the Harvard libraries. I'm so jealous.

I was just offered admission by the University of Tennessee!  It was my only application, so I will (assuming there is funding involved) be accepting.   I haven't received a departmental e-mail yet, but found the "decision letter" on the application page.

This is a huge weight off of my shoulders.  Admission cycles with one application are soooo much more stressful!

May I ask why you only applied to one school? That seems stressful to only have one chance! 

And your only application, wow! That must be a great relief! Sincere congratulations, that's wonderful!

May I ask why you only applied to one school? That seems stressful to only have one chance! 

Family health issues.  UTK was really the only option I had, then.  So it was fortunate that they have not only improved so much over the past few years, but that I got in.  :)

And your only application, wow! That must be a great relief! Sincere congratulations, that's wonderful!

Thanks!  I've been a wreck since the status checker went to "Decision Made" on Saturday morning.  I have been checking at least 15-20 times per hour.  The best part of admission might not be that I get to continue on in philosophy, but that I get to free myself from neurotic e-mail and status checking! 

Thanks!  I've been a wreck since the status checker went to "Decision Made" on Saturday morning.  I have been checking at least 15-20 times per hour.  The best part of admission might not be that I get to continue on in philosophy, but that I get to free myself from neurotic e-mail and status checking! 

Congratulations! I'm glad it paid off for you!

Do you want my apartment? No, in seriousness, if you're not familiar with this area, I'd be glad to show you around. You should live within a short walking distance of the philosophy department. I'm sure you know this, but Harvard's philosophy department gets its own building-- huge, nice (on the outside), and right next to the best of the Harvard libraries. I'm so jealous.

Thanks, Ian! I may just take you up on that. I live in New England (out of state, but the drive isn't too bad). We'll see.

Is the "should" a normative "should"? Or are you telling me that I'm likely to live in walking distance to the philosophy department (perhaps because that's where many other Harvard grad students live)? Of course, I haven't said that I'll accept the offer. I may; I may not.

Thanks, Ian! I may just take you up on that. I live in New England (out of state, but the drive isn't too bad). We'll see.

Is the "should" a normative "should"? Or are you telling me that I'm likely to live in walking distance to the philosophy department (perhaps because that's where many other Harvard grad students live)? Of course, I haven't said that I'll accept the offer. I may; I may not.

It was a normative should, but actually, you should live wherever you want. I just think that if I were in your shoes, I'd pick a place right in that area. Lots of folks choose to save money by living in Somerville, Watertown, Allston, or Brighton. But this is going to be a special time for you, and I'd spend a little extra to enjoy every minute of it. But you may have very different priorities than I do. And I take it by your acceptance that you're some kind of genius!!! So you should do what you think is best! hah No, but really, congratulations. What a neat thing for you.

Edit: Not that there's anything wrong with living in a neighboring town!!! Those places have their advantages, too. Somerville is especially fun. Porter Square is awesome, too.

Edited by ianfaircloud

... what?!?!

I am absolutely STUNNED

Awesome! Congratulations!

My girlfriend just got an offer from Johns Hopkins, so that wait-list is probably real.

EDIT: She also got an email offering her a scholarship at University of Kansas but no offer has arrived in her email yet.

Edited by Monadology