Strongest part of your app?

Hopephily

There was a thread sometime ago asking what each application took to be the "Achilles' heel" of their application. There was also a topic about how cautious everyone seemed to be about their chances in landing a gig.  

So what do you feel to be a particular strength (or strengths) of your application?  

This is a great thread - will help us to keep positive during these anxious times. 

I think that the strongest part of my application is either my letters, or having done well in my MA coursework. I didn't get to see my letters (lucky son of a gun), but I did get the outstanding student award for my graduate program this year and know that my letter writers think I am capable of doing quality philosophical work. It also helps that they are all very active scholars, and I know that their reputation will carry some weight when admission committees look over my application. 

How about you, hopephily?

Writing sample for sure. I think all my application should be strong except for my low quantative GRE scores, and possibly 1 not super strong letter.

But when my advisor read the first draft of my sample, for an independent study with it, he instantly gave me an A and told me it was one of the best papers he's ever seen written by an undergrad. Since then, I've revised the paper a lot, but the argument/shape of the paper is still generally the same. Other professors have been less enthuastic, though they all agree that it's a very good sample.

Letters, I think. My GRE and GPA are solid, but no better than most other applicants.

And hopefully my writing sample is as good as my professors assure me it is. I'm generally hyper-critical of my own work, so I'm not sure that I'm the best judge.

This is a great thread - will help us to keep positive during these anxious times. 

This is what I had in mind.  As for me, I feel fairly good about my writing sample--it was accepted for publication. 

This is what I had in mind.  As for me, I feel fairly good about my writing sample--it was accepted for publication. 

Wow, congrats! By publication, are you referring to an UG journal or?

Congrats! Mind sharing where?

All the aspects of my application seem to me to be pretty similar in strength. High GPA from a notable Christian liberal arts college. High but not superb GRE scores. A well-argued but somewhat unambitious writing sample. Very strong recommendations from fairly unknown scholars. I'd guess my recommendations are the strongest part for me, but it's hard to say.

Thanks. It's not an undergrad journal.  It's a legit journal in my main area of interest.  I'm apprehensive about naming it though. 

That's fantastic. Are you comfortable with disclosing what your main AOI is? If not, I totally understand, I'm just really hoping it's not the same as mine.  ;)