African-American Studies 2014

I know exactly what you mean! I have been waiting as well, and I literally get nervous opening my emails lol. Don't feel bad about the rejections! Every program admits very few applicants (usually only 1-4 students each year ). I have applied to 9 AAAS programs, have been admitted to 1, rejected from 5, and still waiting to hear from 3! I'm wishing the best for everyone, and I hope we all make it into a program with funding!!

I applied to NYU (Africana Studies MA) and Columbia (African American studies MA) programs. The wait is killing me :-/ 

I wanted to apply to Columbia but the no funding for MA thing caused me to abort the whole idea (wasted two rec letters on it, too). What are you doing about funding?

The waiting game is no fun lol. Congrats to everyone with acceptance letters! Did anyone get into their dream school yet?

Got rejected from my number 1 (Harvard, which in retrospect was a poor fit), but got admitted to my number 2 (Brown), which has me pretty excited.  

has anyone else interviewed with UPenn? Any word??

I didn't interview with UPenn (i'm guessing this is an indicator of some bad news to come for me) but I haven't heard anything from their department yet. What was your interview like?

That's great! Brown has a great program! Congrats! I have not heard from UPenn either, but it sounds like they may have interviewed potentials. I wonder if the different programs communicate with each other? Maybe I'm just thinking too hard, but the programs seem to make decisions at different times, and they seem to not accept the same applicants into multiple programs. #conspiracy! Lol jk

Got rejected from my number 1 (Harvard, which in retrospect was a poor fit), but got admitted to my number 2 (Brown), which has me pretty excited.  

I didn't interview with UPenn (i'm guessing this is an indicator of some bad news to come for me) but I haven't heard anything from their department yet. What was your interview like?

UPenn interview was less focused on my research interests and more focused on fit. I've been out of school for several years so POI wanted to know how I'd use that experience as a grad student, what I do for fun, etc. Overall it was 45 minutes long, and mostly informal. I got a great vibe from the prof and a sense that they really care and want students to succeed. Will certainly accept if offered a position.

I was told at the end that he was excited abt my app, so I'm taking it as reason to hope for the best!

Also, for those of you who applied to Ivy Leagues + a couple other top-tier schools there is an exchange program that allows you to do a semester or academic year at another institution in the consortium. I don't have full details but, might be a best of both worlds situation if you've been admitted to Brown but want the benefit of working Harvard faculty at some point.

Also, for those of you who applied to Ivy Leagues + a couple other top-tier schools there is an exchange program that allows you to do a semester or academic year at another institution in the consortium. I don't have full details but, might be a best of both worlds situation if you've been admitted to Brown but want the benefit of working Harvard faculty at some point.

Is Northwestern a part of this consortium?

I wanted to apply to Columbia but the no funding for MA thing caused me to abort the whole idea (wasted two rec letters on it, too). What are you doing about funding?

I'm honestly just going to bite the bullet when it comes to lack of funding. 

I double majored in Africana Studies and Journalism undergrad but I know I'm not experienced enough to get into the extremely competitive African American studies/Africana Studies PhD programs so I didn't want to waste time applying to them.  I also am not really sure if I'm prepared to commit to a PhD, so I thought an MA would be a good starting point and a good way to get some more experience. If I get in I'm going to apply to some scholarships although I won't get my hopes up too high for those.

I have a friend that is in the program and she was awarded 10,000 from the dept., so at least that's a possibility? lol.   

It seems that folks are beginning to hear back from Yale; I'm incredibly nervous! Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled by all the offers I've received thus far and consider myself all too blessed, but I find myself now compulsively checking the website and my email again just like I was at the beginning of the season before I heard anything from anyone.  Am I alone in this feeling, or is it about the same for everyone else?

Anyway, here's to hoping for good news all around! 

I am also anxiously awaiting a Yale decision. Even though I got into my top 2 programs (Northwestern and UT) and will likely end up at one of those, I'd still love to have the option of Yale and the opportunity to visit. 

Congrats on the Northwestern admit! That's a big deal and cause for celebration :).  I PD'd you btdubbs

Congrats about the Penn acceptance. I was reading the other graduate students' research interests when I was researching schools that I wanted to apply to, and the intellectual community seems, to me, to be extremely rich there. 

My question in this thread is about Temple University. Why don't people apply to Temple for African-American Studies? What is the general reputation of the program in academia? 

Hey all!

I've applied to African American Literature and African American Studies Ph.D. programs and so far have been accepted to Penn State (Af. Am. lit and Af. Am. studies dual degree program), U of Maryland (Af. Am. lit), and Cornell's programs (Af. Am. lit). I must say that I am incredibly passionate and serious about our field and insert discoruse regarding African American history and culture into the fabric of our academic and general society. I am also very interested in scholars like us—new, passionate, excited, and intelligent—having our voice—our new voices—heard in the cacophony of established, top-notch scholarship.

That being said, I would like to start a community. I would love to gather a cohort of scholars of African Americn literature/studies,history/philosophy/whatever with whom I can engage ideas and build relationships. My areas of interest are the evolution of black self-perception, that is, rather than the prevailing discourse of the imposed identities onto black folk (sambos, mammies, intellectually inferior, lascivious, etc) I would like to uncover how black folk saw themselves throughout history; U.S. mythologies; philosophy of race and racism; antebellum slavery; critical race theory; and also feminism, gender, and sexuality studies as it pertains to black culture and in general (I'm a big Judith Butler, Catherine Malabou, bell hooks, and Patricia Hill Collins fan). Are there any of you who are incredibly dedicated to really engaging with me in this journey we are all about to embark on? Anyone who loves to dialogue about intellectual topics?

I also plan to begin publishing very early in grad school. I would love to publish an edited book with the contributions of young, new scholars in the field of African American studies/literature and will be looking for erudite writers for that. Please PM me on here or shoot me an email at bey2492@gmail.com if you would like to start this community of young, up and coming scholars.

Congrats about the Penn acceptance. I was reading the other graduate students' research interests when I was researching schools that I wanted to apply to, and the intellectual community seems, to me, to be extremely rich there. 

My question in this thread is about Temple University. Why don't people apply to Temple for African-American Studies? What is the general reputation of the program in academia?

I applied to Temple university, but haven't heard anything back yet. That is the only I school I am waiting to hear from. I actually talked with Dr. Asante over the summer in Ghana, and unfortunately Temple's program doesn't have much funding to offer. That may be a reason some people haven't shown interest in it.

In regards to Temple, I was told by a professor that their appeal had reduced due to "troubles" and "instability."  

@ DST9: I'm extremely envious that you met Dr. Asante in Ghana! He's pretty brilliant. Was this at a conference? Which one? At any rate, did you apply to their PhD program or are you trying for the MA? I know that their MA has no funding but that they do offer funding for their PhD students. Do they offer a low amount? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what's Temple's appeal for you? 

@jhsting32: I found an article online that discussed an issue in which the university is making attempts to undercut the independence of the department. Is this the "troubles" and "instability" that you're referencing? Are they related more to funding? To the faculty? Sorry, it's fine if you don't have the answers. 

@ DST9: I'm extremely envious that you met Dr. Asante in Ghana! He's pretty brilliant. Was this at a conference? Which one? At any rate, did you apply to their PhD program or are you trying for the MA? I know that their MA has no funding but that they do offer funding for their PhD students. Do they offer a low amount? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what's Temple's appeal for you? 

@jhsting32: I found an article online that discussed an issue in which the university is making attempts to undercut the independence of the department. Is this the "troubles" and "instability" that you're referencing? Are they related more to funding? To the faculty? Sorry, it's fine if you don't have the answers. 

• Yes, He is very brilliant! Last summer he offered a two-week educational trip to Ghana, so I went. It was amazing! I applied for the PhD program, but since I haven't heard back I just assumed that I didn't get accepted. I don't know any specifics with funding. However, the program appealed to me because of the perspective. I have always recieved the "European" version of African-Anerican perspective, so I wanted something different for my PhD. I know students who went to Temple, and also students who currently attend Temple and they love the program.
  • Are you applying for MA?