Flying out for an interview.

earresponsible

This topic may have already been posted but I could not find it.

How common is it for applicants to travel (fly mainly) for interviews in which the university does not pay for expenses? What is your perception of this? For me, I believe that it is worth the trip if you are really interested in the program. It would be nice if the university paid for traveling though.  ^_^

How common probably depends on the field. In my field, most schools provide some reimbursement, and if you combine several visits into one trip, it's sufficient to cover all of your expenses. 

Is it worth it to visit if you are not getting reimbursed? That also depends on the situation. E.g., do you feel like you got a good sense of the school and your potential advisor from emails and phone conversations? Are there alums or visitors from that school who you could talk to in person? Are you choosing between several very different options, or is there just one? How expensive would it be to travel, and can you afford it? Will it be a open house event where you also get to meet your potential cohort, or a visit on a random day? If it's a private visit, are you sure persons of interest will be on campus and classes will be held as planned (there's nothing worse than getting there and learning one poi is traveling and it's a school holiday so there is no class today!). Generally I think visiting is very important and I'd do it if possible, but I would not get into debt for it. 

My answer is two-fold...

1. I don't think I have ever heard of an interviewee not getting accepted to an academic program (though that is just me...)

2. It is weird to not have any expenses covered by the university...

This topic may have already been posted but I could not find it.

How common is it for applicants to travel (fly mainly) for interviews in which the university does not pay for expenses? What is your perception of this? For me, I believe that it is worth the trip if you are really interested in the program. It would be nice if the university paid for traveling though.  ^_^

I had a school say they highly preferred an in-person interview but then admitted they only gave applicants two weeks notice to book a flight (for me, across the country!) and expected us to pay for it (for an MA program.)

...if they ask me for an interview, I'm going to skype them. That's easily $1,000 in travel expenses, not counting food. I don't have that kind of money lying around for a maybe at a two year program. If it was a PhD, I might try to make it work. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm flying out for an interview (and staying in a hotel for 2 nights) and unfortunately the cost is on me- booo.  But I saved up some moolah for this reason ahead of time knowing that not all programs offer reimbursement.  Anyway, I think it's important to visit a place I might move to for the next 5 years and make sure it's a good fit... and if it helps with my chances of acceptance, it'll be worth it!

I'm flying out for an interview (and staying in a hotel for 2 nights) and unfortunately the cost is on me- booo.  But I saved up some moolah for this reason ahead of time knowing that not all programs offer reimbursement.  Anyway, I think it's important to visit a place I might move to for the next 5 years and make sure it's a good fit... and if it helps with my chances of acceptance, it'll be worth it!

Yeah, good point. Well, good luck with your interview!  :)